hand cannon? or hand grenade!!!!

gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
just loaded some 125 gr xtps last night with 22 gr of h110, seems that this is a compressed load. gonna be blasting em out of my sp101 today........stay tuned.

The wisdom from the guys at hornady is that a slightly compressed load when you're dealing with pistol powders is not really as much of an issue as with grained rifle powders. This is because when you compress them the grains tend to break up when they are compressed into finer pieces and this increases the burn rate which increases the pressure.

22gr of 110 under the 125s are a vendor book max load which is usually fairly conservative and is still inside the safe operating spec for the cartridge. In addition to that you're shooting it out of a ruger revolver rather than a smith or a taurus or something .... so in general, unless you "oops"ed and didn't measure the powder right you'll be fine .... that's not to say your hands won't take a beating.

Not that I'm recommending doing it, but I've been accused of using a cheater bar on my press to seat bullets in straight walled rounds full of H110/W296. After a certain point, it's a waste of powder and you're just blowing unburned powder out the barrel.

Most of my idiocy was using Blackhawks and T/C's firing .44 mag and .45 Colt and .454 Casull rounds. My problem was keeping the others in the cylinder from shooting loose under recoil.

Now, I'm the one that can't stand up to the recoil.

Back
Top Bottom