• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Half Helmets, What kind do you wear?

Bucket99

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
83   0
Reaction score
I have always worn a full face on sportbikes and still do when it's cold on the old cruisers. I never have found a half helmet that really fits me good. I tried to wear one of those novelty type not DOT compliant and it shook so bad I couldn't wear it.
So what type or brand do you recommend? I have been looking at the Skid Lid, Zone, Daytona, Vega brands. What I want is something DOT compliant, comfortable, and has good retention to eliminate some helmet chatter. What I don't want is too have the giant mushroom head look LOL What do you recommend?

I wear a full coverage Bell helmet. Hot in the summer and tends to fog up in the winter. Most people don't like a full helmet, but I don't have enough brains that I could afford to have any knocked out.

What I don't want is too have the giant mushroom head look

Unfortunately there's no way around having enough foam to be DOT compliant and not give you mushroom head.

The Daytona is pretty slim as DOT helmets go, but I didn't like the plastic D ring. I settled on the Outlaw T68, which is maybe a hair bigger than the Daytona, but has metal hardware and fit my head the best.

Unfortunately there's no way around having enough foam to be DOT compliant and not give you mushroom head.

The Daytona is pretty slim as DOT helmets go, but I didn't like the plastic D ring. I settled on the Outlaw T68, which is maybe a hair bigger than the Daytona, but has metal hardware and fit my head the best.
Where did you purchase it from?

Stick with full. Everyone that sees your face after a crash will appreciate it. I crashed years ago and keep the full face helmet for years just to remind me of the impact on the road. I walked away with some road rash but face was fine thanks to the helmet. Chose looking smart over looking cool.

I kept a Bell helmet for years as a reminder of how smart it was to wear it.
There was a chunk out of the helmet where my head hit the curb.
I was fine, mostly.

Non DOT that I bought from that bike shop on 400 right before it ends. Shop is closed and gone now but maybe was Toosies??
Anyway, dressed it up with some protective stickers and good to go.

Back
Top Bottom