• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had night sights installed on my XDm, is this normal / acceptable?

on any gun with any sights, i would find that unacceptable.............

As would I. I am very particular about crap like that and if that were my gun it would drive me absolutely nuts! No way I would settle for that.

Hmmm... I'm kind of stuck here then.... TruGlo says they look fine based on the pics but consensus on the forum seems to be that it doesn't look right. Any suggestions on what to do? Can these be removed and reset or would it require new sites?

I would go back to BWG and tell them to fix it , you don't like it and they need to make it right! If they won't honor there work **** em' , let them know how you feel and go somewhere else

If TruGlo considers that acceptable, then I would get another sight.

However, I've used various TruGlo products with out a single problem. And going from what I can see in the pic I still think it was fitted incorrectly. When fitting sights like that you remove material from the bottom of the sight dovetail, only. That looks like they tried to grind/file one or both of the bevels front and/or rear. Which is extremely difficult to do by hand. I would insist that the installer do it again with a new sight.

To chime in on what has already been said. I too find that these sights with that gap are unacceptable. Can't tell if its a manufacturing issue or installation problem.

But I find Truglo's response very telling in that they saw the picture and say the gap is within their specs.

I'd take them back to the place of purchase and see if they will either replace the sight with one that fits, refund your money, or replace the sights altogether with another brand - Meprolight and Trijicon are both excellent.

EDITED POST to add: My point and problem with this is that although relatively unlikely, there does exist the potential that this gap, or more so "hook" between the sights and slide can now catch clothing, straps, etc. This could potentially be a life saving issue if it catches on something at the wrong time. Even if by design, such a gap on a working/defensive firearm should not be there. I would not want it no matter who made the sights and would be nervous about having such a potential issue on my gun. Without question, if it were me and my gun I'd get another set of sights where this gap was eliminated.

Last edited:
The picture does make the gap look bigger. If you look closely, the beveled bottom of the site can be seen in the "gap" and only a sliver of actual space. Is this acceptable? Not if it shouldn't be there

Back
Top Bottom