• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing up poor, what food do you eat from time to time?

We were but I never knew it after my dad took off when I was 12. We had a big garden, my mom canned everything and made several kinds of pickled vegetables. Being from east Tn she always made biscuits and gravy, corn bread, could fry and bake anything. She made sure we never went hungry. I was very fortunate

I grew up on hand grown garden food. Mom canned and we all worked the garden together to get it to harvest time. We all gladly ate it all winter long until next season came around, the do it again. I still eat it today. I had my wife's canned stewed tomatoes, along with fried potatoes and onions tonight. It never gets old when you ate it growing up. I didn't know there was anything that tasted better than what mom would put on the table back then.

A lot of mornings it was cheese toast or cinnamon/sugar toast. Salmon patties w/biscuits and gravy occasionally on Sundays . (canned salmon of course)

5560877E-2CEE-40AD-81B3-9AB3A4092BF8.png

I’m sure all the ol-timers refer this as a fact.

You name the casserole. That's what we had. Mom made sure to put a vegetable, a protein, and a carb in the meal at all times. I'm still doing that for my fam, just making more than I thought I would. Budget everything now ha.

Back
Top Bottom