• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ground Hunting

I was raised hunting from the ground sitting on a bucket or dove stool. Got my first ladder stand as a Christmas present around 16/17 years of age and my Granddaddy's response when I showed up at the farm to put it up was "I never saw the need to climb a tree like a damn monkey to kill a deer. Don't go get yourself killed falling outa that thing." These days I do both and so far this year, I have killed one deer from a stand and one deer off my dove stool sitting behind a large oak that fell last year. I like both for different reasons.

Each of my five deer this year have been from the ground, no stand or ground blind . Just good solid hunting basics and a lot of luck. Good cover - good wind - good shot placement

I do have stands and a blind setup but ended up not using them.

Shot my first deer from a stand. Didnt do it again for years. Probably 25+ deer later. I use to wear camo insulated coveralls and lay against logs and clumps of trees. Get in shallow gullys and pull brush around me.
Still hunted for several years. It would take me 2 hours to poke along 100 yards . Walked up on deer eating. I was like a slug moving so slow ;)
I had a great place all by myself to hunt.
Ive killed a boatload of deer just setting there enjoying the woods and waiting . ;)

I'm pretty sure there's a large majority of hunters in my area that use the F250 climber stand or the Silverado popup blinds. Rumor has it that the Ram Hemi shooting houses are too loud.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I kill a lot of deer on the ground, when i'm in ladder stands not seeing deer, I will change it up and get a bucket or seat and go some where I know deer travel and you can't put up a ladder stand and usually get one. I feel deer pattern hunters and doing something different than what the property is set up for often proves rewarding. Sitting on the edge of fields I have never had a deer notice me unless they were directly down wind from me. Just sit by a bush or brush get comfortable so your not moving and I often use a Silk 700 tripod set up for seated height but with a quick adjustment works for standing as well with fields. One thing about on the ground is if your by a field they tend to arch and if your only seeing the head of the deer you can stand up and make the shot quickly and easily with a tripod like that. I understand peoples mind set of being high, the bullet goes in the ground, but if you ever pay attention, at a vacant field the bullet really skips across the ground even when in a treestand, you still have to know what is behind what your firing at even high unless your shooting at your feet.

Back
Top Bottom