• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ground Hunting

Stuckon22

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Look a Man Straight in His Hairy Eyeball!
238   0
Reaction score
Just realized every deer I have taken this year was from the ground blind, even the doe I took with my bow. Makeshift brush blind and a commercially made blind. When I was younger I thought I needed to be 30 feet in a climber or tower stand. On the ground I have so much more freedom to move around, stand, and stretch for long sits, less stuff to carry, less sweating.. I can still climb with a climber but have probably gotten spoiled now.

Attachments

• 20211105_091021.jpg
    20211105_091021.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211031_190531.jpg
    20211031_190531.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211107_085656~2.jpg
    20211107_085656~2.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 68
I have only hunted in a tree when I have too the past several years. I think I may have gotten too heavy to use my old tree climber. I've taken a lot of deer stalking though the years, but I don't know if I can still do that or not. It was painful for me back then when I did do it (back, legs and hips from moving so slow)

In our hunt club no one is allowed to shoot at a deer with a high powered rifle from ground level. If you shoot from an elevated position and miss the bullet goes into the ground.
I hunt in the mountains and own my land and am aware of backgrounds(which are hills and bluffs) before I pull the trigger but I am sure that on flatter land the same precautions would dictate deciding to take a shot and knowing what is beyond your target.

I hunt in the mountains and own my land and am aware of backgrounds(which are hills and bluffs) before I pull the trigger but I am sure that on flatter land the same precautions would dictate deciding to take a shot and knowing what is beyond your target.
Of course, a person should never pull a trigger without these considerations. It's simply not worth the legal ramifications that could go along with making a mistake

Pretty sure way more people fall from stands and die/gravely injured than are shot through carelessness and accidentally but that’s not the point of the post. I thought you had to be in a tree too but started hunting from the ground in 2001, now my bow success greatly diminished but had I been rifle hunting I would’ve had quite a wall full of antler! Also have less areas to see from many ground set ups but I’ve enjoyed it. Unlike you though, I seem to carry more food, coffee, sometimes a blanket and my pack weighs maybe 25lb early in year to near 40 later.

I hunted the ground for years before I finally got a climber.
Once I got in a tree and realized how much more I could see from up there I kicked myself for not doing it earlier.
I still do a lot of walk/stalk hunting though but If I’m going in for an evening hunt I usually try to get up high.
If I’m in a new spot I like to scout /stalk with my lightweight climber and usually end up posting in a promising looking spot up high.
For some reason in bear country I like to get up high so I can see what’s coming.

Back
Top Bottom