• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ground Hunting

I hunted the ground for years before I finally got a climber.
Once I got in a tree and realized how much more I could see from up there I kicked myself for not doing it earlier.
I still do a lot of walk/stalk hunting though but If I’m going in for an evening hunt I usually try to get up high.
If I’m in a new spot I like to scout /stalk with my lightweight climber and usually end up posting in a promising looking spot up high.
For some reason in bear country I like to get up high so I can see what’s coming.
You are right COMANCHE, as you know we have 2 16' tall towers, and certainly helps, "IF YOU CAN'T SEE THEM YOU CAN'T SHOOT THEM CAN YOU?'.

I went out for an hour this morning in my leafy cam.
That foggy stuff was just too awesome to pass up and I knew Bambi would be enjoying it.
I decided to sneak down into the bowl with my crossbow only.
On my way across the old gold mining ditch I snuck up on a mama with two yearlings.
Mama walked right up to me and sniffed and brushed right past me.
One of the yearlings was spooked a little and stomped at me before walking by.
They all passed and continued walking a/ browsing while l stood still.
Obviously I decided not to shoot their mama cause I was feeling the Christmas spirit for them so I waited about 20 min before they finally were out of sight above me so I continued in into the bowl.
Of course I came upon a nice 8 point bedded down next to a log watching the main game trail near the creek.
Couldn’t shoot cause I’m bucked out.
I was able to back out without him ever noticing me.
That was all the time I had this am so I’m glad I didn’t stink the place all up so There may be hope for an evening hunt there tonight.

Back
Top Bottom