• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Green Chili

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I wanted to add something to this section but I don't use recipes..... so, I am trying to document my Green Chili as I make it...... Green Chili is a Mexican sauce that is used to cover burritos and other meals. We thicken it and eat it as a soup. Traditional method is to eat it with toasted flour tortillas. I hope you enjoy it.....

Green Chili 8QTs

Ingredients:
1.5-1.75 lbs pork w/ bones (Wild Hog works great)
1 - 14.5 oz can of tomatoes w/ chili
4 - 7 oz cans chopped green chilies
1 - 2 white onions
1 - Jalapeno (add another for spicy)
3 - Garlic cloves
2 tspn - Olive oil
1 tspn - Garlic Powder
1 TBSPN - Onion Powder
1 TBSPN + 2tspn - Beef bullion
2 tspn - Salt (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 tspn - Cilantro
1 1/2 TBSPN - Sugar
3 Liters - water

Chop garlic, onions, jalapeno, and pork. Place oil in the pan. Turn on medium. Add garlic and onions, caramelize. Add pork. Brown it. Add green chilies and tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes. Add water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Then let simmer. Salt to taste.

If you like a thicker chili, you can add thickener (corn starch water).
If you like a spicier chili, add more jalapeno, cayenne pepper or black pepper.

Last edited:
When you say pork with bones. Is that like pork chops or ribs?

I have used a variety of meats for this recipe.... I have found pork to be the best flavor. I usually use pork chops.... I cut the meat off and dice it... then I throw the bones in ... later I fish them out.... It tastes a lot better with the bones cooked in......

I make the same thing, but I replace the tomatoes with tomatillo salsa or roasted tomatillos. It also works great with chicken thighs. Brown the thighs first, then use the fat for the saute.

Back
Top Bottom