• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Government land

sonofapreacherman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
83   0
Reaction score
Other than Monticello does anybody know where oconee national forest public land is preferably in Madison county or anywhere else. Don't have anywhere to actually hunt at me and my dad

Don't do a WMA. There is a LOT of land that is Oconee National Forest that is not WMA land. Most of the state laws are the norm on NF land that is not a WMA. There are some small differences, so it's important to study the regs. The one BIG difference is that the NF still has the December break in deer hunting. The reason you stay away from the WMAs is because they seem to get a lot more hunting pressure than just NF land. Do some scouting and you can find areas that get very little hunting pressure, especially if you are willing to go in a little deep. Get some maps and find areas that are a half mile or more from any roads. Those are the areas I would look at first. About 99% of hunters will not go that deep to hunt and you will probably have the area mostly to yourself. Another benefit is that if there is a lot of hunting pressure on the fringes of the area, it has a tendency to drive the deer deep. Right where you'll be waiting for them. Pay attention to scent control and don't make a big ruckus going in and out. Use minimal light (red lens) and change into your descented hunting clothes and boots AFTER you get out of your vehicle. The idea is to leave as little sign that you are moving through the area as possible.

Go deep, go early and stay all day. Some of the best action is late morning and early afternoon when the hunters on the edge are moving.

Good luck.

I am in two good clubs,but STILL hunt some WMAs.I`ve killed a ton of deer on WMAs.I usually hunt where nobody else wants to and it works for me,because that`s where the deer go.WMAs are a challenge,opposed to hunting the same tract for 20 years.You have to outwit the deer and the other hunters.Many WMAs also give the benefit of hogs and/or bears.Check-in hunts give you two free deer that you don`t have to tag.

Back
Top Bottom