• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got Shrimp?

When I was fishing for Striper I found it easier to raise my Rainbows rather than buy from a bait shop and more fun..I have two 500 gal tanks next to my creek in ground with a roof..Had to cover them for bear problems...The only problem I had is, went on a hunting trip Wife fed to much food to them, and killed all of them...Seems Trout will gorge themselves until there belly splints DD

I am curious as to the economics of it. I haven't looked into it but I've read some things about farm raised salmon. Something about the cost of feed to produce a pound of protein. I'm sure it would be an interesting hobby but maybe cheaper to pick it up at Kroger's? What have you learned about the cost/protein ratio? Let us know!

Very low construction and operating cost has the cost/protein ratio very desirable. Prawns are scavengers, so they'll eat nearly anything that's found in the water. Most people feed them catfish food, or you can purchase shrimp protein wafers.

zoning/use might be an issue

Yeah I was curious about that. However if I'm using an existing backyard koi pond, but rather than koi I place shrimp in there 6 mo out of the year, I'm not sure they can really say anything could they?

zoning/use might be an issue

Woody...looking at HOA Covenants, it appears to be okay, (some interpretation needed)...since shrimp and crabs can be purchased and raised in an aquarium as pets from a local pet store and we would not be raising anything for commercial purposes.

"Section 7. Animals and Pets. No animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind may be raised, bred, kept, or permitted on any Lot, with the exception of dogs, cats, or other usual and common household pets in reasonable number, as determined by the Board;provided, however, those pets which are permitted to roam free, or, in the sole discretion of the Board, endanger the health., make objectionable noise, or constitute a nuisance or inconvenience to the Owners of other Lots or the owner of any property located adjacent to the Community may be removed by the Board. No pets shall be kept, bred or maintained for any commercial purpose. Dogs which are household pets shall at all times whenever they are outside a Lot be confined on a leash. Without prejudice to the Board's right to remove any such household pets, no household pet that has caused damage or injury may be walked in the Community."

I'm trying to find a location for City of Woodstock zoning.

Very low construction and operating cost has the cost/protein ratio very desirable. Prawns are scavengers, so they'll eat nearly anything that's found in the water. Most people feed them catfish food, or you can purchase shrimp protein wafers.

Commercial shrimp farmers in Asia use a ton of anti-biotics, that's why I try not to eat it.

Yep if it does come from the ocean I will not buy it as far as just shrimp go. Only petroleum infused Gulf shrimp for me :) . Seriously ocean caught shrimp taste a hell of allot better than the imported shrimp IMO. Now the prawns are GTG, had them in Hong Kong for the first time 33 years ago (right out of a big tank) grilled and man, they were excellent. It will be interesting to see if this works for you.

If...a big IF, it does and we can get a good number of giant river prawns going during the summer, I'll invite the ODT for a big prawn grillin' on the deck.

i'll also document everything well and share it.

Back
Top Bottom