• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GOT DRINKING WATER ??? My new well project ...

mm30004

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
GOT GOOD DRINKING WATER ??? That is one thing that concerns me greatly. Water is the key to survival...without it, we wouldn't live very long. For the past few years, we have been prepping for an uncertain future and one of the last items on our list was a new well for our small RV park in middle Georgia. We wanted a well that would continue to provide good drinking water, even if the power grid were to go down, and even if we couldn't get gasoline for our generator. We knew of some friends who had Bison hand pumps added to thier existing wells for back-up and we were considering doing the same thing. Then a few months back, I stumbled up another company making a hand pump that could be converted to be ran by a 12 volt motor called THE SIMPLE PUMP. These pumps will work in most existing 4 to 8 inch wells and will pump down to 350 feet deep. The pump is constructed out of billet aluminum with a detachable pump handle to where an optional 12 volt motor could be installed. The draw pipe has threaded connections, not the glued type like we were seeing on some of the other pumps on the market. I know that pvc glue is suppose to hold forever, but the thought of it possibly coming apart and dropping down in my well didn't sit well with me. The internal pump rod is made of fiberglass with stainless threaded connections making assembly a breeze. The upper pump housing even has a freeze proof feature making it ideal for extremely cold weather. This pump can also preasurize your main water tank, just as your electric drop pump does, providing enough water preasure for a quick shower.

First I contacted my well guy and told him of what I'd like to do and he was eager to come see this, for he had several customers that had asked about something like this, but he had no experience with them. We decided on going with a 4 1/2 pvc casing with a 1.5 hp pump and a 120 gallon tank. I called the folks at The Simple Pump Company and ordered a 4 1/2 cap so it could be installed at the same time as the well was being dug.

[Broken External Image]:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We hit water at 60 feet, dug the well 240 feet, and placed the electric pump at 120 feet. Also when we wired the pump, we used male/female plugs so that we could easily plug the well pump into our generator.

[Broken External Image]:

Now that we know the depth of the well, water level and submergable electric pump, it's time to order The Simple Pump. We decided to drop the pick-up at 100 feet so we ordered enough material to do this. [keep in mind, when ordering it's best to know how much drop-pipe you need to get all this in one shipment to save $$$ on freight!] This is an easy, do it yourself with no help project and I had it up and running in less than two hours. Some teflon tape, two pair of vicegrips and a couple of channel lock plyers is all the tools needed for this project. The biggest thing is having a good clean area to work in to keep all the part clean of dirt and debree. I worked off the back of my pick-up truck and used a ladder to help ease the installation of the drop pipes and drop rods. This kit comes with a well made safety clip which is critical in the assemby process. [you damn sure don't want to drop this puppy down in the well!]

[Broken External Image]:

Pictured below is the finish project. The directions state that you may have to initially pump 100 strokes to build up the prime, but I only had about 25 strokes before I got water. Once primed, a mere few strokes delivered water! Once I get my pump house built and dried in, I plan to install the 12 volt electic motor. For anyone interested that would like to see this in person to see how well it works, this is located in Dublin, Georgia, 31021...I'm usually down there on weekends only! PM me for more details!

The contact info for the pump guyz; 877-492-8711 Nevada or SIMPLEPUMP.com Tell them you saw it here on the world famous TheOutdoorsTrader.com I will be posting more pics and info once I have installed the 12 volt motor.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
now that's thinking ahead right there. my plan for water is filters, we've got plenty of streams, springs, and creeks up on the north side of the state

now that's thinking ahead right there. my plan for water is filters, we've got plenty of streams, springs, and creeks up on the north side of the state

Filters are good for a short emergency, but have you actually tried carrying 10 gallons of water to your house, from the nearest stream or pond?
1 gal might be good for drinking per day, but you need more per day for washing up, possibly cleaning, or even if you just want to flush your toilet. With multiple people in the house, you might be surprised at the amount of water you need.

How much is the hand pump set up?

Pricing depends on how deep you want to go...I think I spent about $1600. At first the $$$ scared me, but if you look at it as it were an insurance policy to guarantee that no matter what, you'll have drinking water, it doesn't sound so bad. We had already spent close to $7000 just for the new well, so whats a few more $$$ to make this a well of the future.

Naw, I haven't ordered the 12 volt motor yet...I was kinda trying to get X-mas paid for and my pump house built so that I could keep it out of the weather & locked up. I already have the solar panels, cables and controllers, I just lack the motor now. I also want to build an elavated water tank that will gravity feed my RV park which is all downhill from the well.

Pricing depends on how deep you want to go...I think I spent about $1600. At first the $$$ scared me, but if you look at it as it were an insurance policy to guarantee that no matter what, you'll have drinking water, it doesn't sound so bad. We had already spent close to $7000 just for the new well, so whats a few more $$$ to make this a well of the future.

OK Thanks

Back
Top Bottom