• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Google Maps is an evil experiment in control?

Has anyone else experienced a crazy re-route like this?

It doesn't even say it'll take longer, the message is often that it's the "fastest route".

I can see it working on the interstate, since Google is monitoring people's speed and location. But on back roads, unless farmer Jed is driving his tractor, their algorithm makes no sense.

It doesn't even say it'll take longer, the message is often that it's the "fastest route".

I can see it working on the interstate, since Google is monitoring people's speed and location. But on back roads, unless farmer Jed is driving his tractor, their algorithm makes no sense.
I've seen this and worse. That's why I say you have to over ride sometimes

Yes. Sometimes it's a GPS issue. Sometimes it's bad data, especially on backroads. County, etc.. puts in a we're working on a bridge notice; it may take months to get removed from the traffic system.

I've seen this and worse. That's why I say you have to over ride sometimes
I do this all the time in Eastern N. Carolina as there's about 50 ways to get to Carolina Shores. There is only ONE way to guaranteed get there without getting behind some damned slow ass papaw with nowhere to be any time soon.

I always look at google maps in satellite mode on my computer before leaving the house, and either memorize the route (if only a few turns), or draw it out on copy paper with notes on the turns. If the route is extra complicated, I'll use the "street view" so I can see what the landmarks are at key points. A lot of the time, I will find a better route on the map than the suggested one. Never gotten lost or taken a wrong turn. I can't stand being behind a driver who is obviously listening to turn by turn directions--driving 15mph below the speed limit and slowing down at every side street or driveway.

I have done a few ODT transactions in places I had never been (or knew existed). GPS (Google Maps) got there. When ready to leave and it has me travel a completely different route home. Shhheeeesh!

Back
Top Bottom