• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good affordable first hunting rifle and caliber recommendations?

To me the scope is more important than the gun. In GA you can hunt 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown, and I see the majority of deer in those timeframes so I want a good scope. And also depending where you hunt, you'll probably be better off with a 2-7x.
I think this is one of the best points made yet. I would worry more about the glass than the gun/caliber (though you can't go wrong with the Ought-Six, 270, or 308). Almost all of my rifles sport Leupolds and I'm indifferent between the Vari/VX I's, II's, and III's. I am partial to Leupolds but there is a lot of good glass out there. I guess I prefer them due to the great eye relief they provide and fantastic clarity no matter what time of day it is or the weather conditions I'm hunting in.

Reactions: BHJ
I am partial to savage 10's, winchester 70's, and Remington 700's. I have bought all 3 for under $500 in recent years.

To me the scope is more important than the gun. In GA you can hunt 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown, and I see the majority of deer in those timeframes so I want a good scope. And also depending where you hunt, you'll probably be better off with a 2-7x.

2-7x for better light transmission or a lower price as far as scope goes? Not sure where I am going to be hunting but most likely trudging through WMAs to start as I don't want to spring for a lease my first year. Model 70 didn't happen, so still trying to decide how to proceed. There is the "Savage Trophy Hunter" package that comes with Nikon 3x9 BDC that doesn't seem like a bad deal at around $500. Just hoping 6 month down the road I don't look back and regret not spending the extra on the T3 and Leupold.

2-7x for better light transmission or a lower price as far as scope goes? Not sure where I am going to be hunting but most likely trudging through WMAs to start as I don't want to spring for a lease my first year. Model 70 didn't happen, so still trying to decide how to proceed. There is the "Savage Trophy Hunter" package that comes with Nikon 3x9 BDC that doesn't seem like a bad deal at around $500. Just hoping 6 month down the road I don't look back and regret not spending the extra on the T3 and Leupold.
I love my T3, it wears a Redfield on it, all my other rifles Have Nikon on them. You mentioned the Tikka bolt and it is the sweetest one out there IMO.

2-7x because most of your shots will probably be within 100 yards are less, but it still allows you to reach out a little if necessary. I have a VXI and II in 3-9x, and both have never even been used - too much scope for the area I hunt. I use either an T-1 for real thick stuff and shots under 40 yards, VXR 1-4x, or a VXIII 1.75-6x. The VXIII is my favorite because it has the best light transmission.

Unless you find a nice package deal, I'd pick up a rifle for $200 and spend $300 on the scope since $500 is your budget. The good thing about a cheap rifle is that will always have a place for wet weather hunting.

2-7x because most of your shots will probably be within 100 yards are less, but it still allows you to reach out a little if necessary. I have a VXI and II in 3-9x, and both have never even been used - too much scope for the area I hunt. I use either an T-1 for real thick stuff and shots under 40 yards, VXR 1-4x, or a VXIII 1.75-6x. The VXIII is my favorite because it has the best light transmission.

Unless you find a nice package deal, I'd pick up a rifle for $200 and spend $300 on the scope since $500 is your budget. The good thing about a cheap rifle is that will always have a place for wet weather hunting.
I've been moving the opposite direction. I changing most of my regularly used hunting rifles form 3-9 to 4.5-14. Granted, I like to hunt where I can see some pretty long distances and often serve double duty as coyote snipers so there is that. But cranked all the way down the field of view is still huge and the last deer I shot (November) was all of about 25 yards away at last light on a cloudy evening (Leupold VXIII).
I used to be Leupold only but have bought a comparable Sightron (BigSky II) and Bushnell (last of the Elite 4300s) on sale for materially less.
Having said that, for near range rifles, I'm still a sucker for the old Redfield Widefield 1 3/4 - 5x.

But I absolutely agree, the OP needs to spend as much time (if not more) and money on the optic. Unfortunately it's VERY hard to compare them in a store especially low light transmission which I agree is critical. I've been meaning to take some pictures through my scopes at dusk to compare them.

I've been moving the opposite direction. I changing most of my regularly used hunting rifles form 3-9 to 4.5-14. Granted, I like to hunt where I can see some pretty long distances and often serve double duty as coyote snipers so there is that. But cranked all the way down the field of view is still huge and the last deer I shot (November) was all of about 25 yards away at last light on a cloudy evening (Leupold VXIII).
I used to be Leupold only but have bought a comparable Sightron (BigSky II) and Bushnell (last of the Elite 4300s) on sale for materially less.
Having said that, for near range rifles, I'm still a sucker for the old Redfield Widefield 1 3/4 - 5x.

But I absolutely agree, the OP needs to spend as much time (if not more) and money on the optic. Unfortunately it's VERY hard to compare them in a store especially low light transmission which I agree is critical. I've been meaning to take some pictures through my scopes at dusk to compare them.

Well I went from the T-1 for almost 100% hunting to the 1-4x to the 1.75-6x, and they are all used about equally now. My longest shot in the last 3 years was maybe 75 yards, and most of my shots are 40 or less. My shortest shot was maybe 10 - 15 yards on the hog I killed recently. All of the shots were in low light situations, and they were all clear as day.

I prefer Leupolds just because they tend to be a little lighter in weight, but you won't go wrong with any of the Nikons, Bushnells, etc. I just want something that will get me all the way to the end of legal shooting hours.

308 savage axis. It will shoot better than you out of box. Get with accutrigger. I would buy my own scope. I dont like pre set scopes

Well I went from the T-1 for almost 100% hunting to the 1-4x to the 1.75-6x, and they are all used about equally now. My longest shot in the last 3 years was maybe 75 yards, and most of my shots are 40 or less. My shortest shot was maybe 10 - 15 yards on the hog I killed recently. All of the shots were in low light situations, and they were all clear as day.

I prefer Leupolds just because they tend to be a little lighter in weight, but you won't go wrong with any of the Nikons, Bushnells, etc. I just want something that will get me all the way to the end of legal shooting hours.
My last 5 deer in Georgia were about 25, 45, 35, 115, and 325. Gotta' be ready for anything. ;)

Back
Top Bottom