• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

IOWA whitetail hunting recommendations?

IceColdEric

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   0
Reaction score
I have acquired 5 preference points for IOWA whitetail. Should be able to draw the coveted tag this year. Does anyone have IOWA experience they would like to share or guided hunts they would recommend? Researching all options.

Are you ready for Iowa deer?! Can you let a 150” deer walk? How about 160”? There are some tough options we aren’t used to down here.

Even the better garage deer are better than what I’ve ever seen in GA.

My brother was hoping to get this one, but a neighbor’s kid took got lucky during the early youth season. Lol

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20161124-132602.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20161124-132602.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 39
Are you ready for Iowa deer?! Can you let a 150” deer walk? How about 160”? There are some tough options we aren’t used to down here.

Even the garage deer are better than what I’ve ever seen in GA.

My brother was hoping to get this one, but a neighbor’s kid took got lucky during the early youth season. Lol
Well those are the exact reasons, I have been collecting points the past 5 years. Good problem to have i suppose...

Why would you let a 150-160 inch deer walk if you never killed one.

Why would you let a 150-160 inch deer walk if you never killed one.
If I'm spending 5 years to lay the groundwork for an Iowa deer hunt, I would be hoping for a big deer. Would I regret passing on a 150" deer if I didn't see anything bigger? I don't think so. For me, the dilemma would be the 160" deer on the first morning. Also... the scouting reports should have pics of the bucks in the area. You should have a good idea of what is possible.

What I have learned on out of state hunts is don’t pass something on the first morning that you would shoot on the last morning.
I did this on a Wyoming mule deer hunt one year and passed on a 189 inch mule deer the first morning
Luckily we found the same deer 2 days later and I shot him
That’s how I know how much it scored

Holy smokes!!!!

Back
Top Bottom