• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gold inlay

Swampbogger

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
I recently orderd a gold inlay kit (real gold not bronze powder) I plan on using it on my Rem 11-87. I know it will look good on the blued firearm now heres the question part. I have a SS Springer 1911 and my son just got a SS kimber from his grandmother. Does anyone have a SS firearm with gold inlay or seen one personaly? How did it look? Any pics? Id like to do my Springer and sons Kimber but just dont know what it will look like. :confused:

UPDATE: Kit just came in. I opened the the bottle that contains the 23k gold for the inlay....some sort of very light grey white granules or balls. For the heck of it I put alittle of it on a peice of paper and added one drop of cleaner solvent. It turned gold. Am I crazy or something? The add for the kit said 23k gold. Not even sure Im gonna do it now :(

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5472/Product/GOLD-LODE-GOLD-INLAY-KIT

Last edited:
On a S/S firearm the inlay will not standout UNLESS the stamping or engraving is wider and deeper. Its definetly a Blue Steel item, just my opinion from 1st hand experience. I've had great success with liguid gold leaf, small .75 oz bottle, it can be purchased at Lowes and it will not wash off, if you want it out you have to scrap/wire brush it out, cleaners will not remove it and its alot cheaper than what you bought. Use a small artist brush and dab it in the engraving then wipe off the excess with steel wool

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I knew someone had to know 1st hand. I was worried about how well it would show up on SS. It will probably look good on the Kimber with their wide engraving.Oh well. It will look good on that shotgun though! It's a premier with fully engraved reciever.

Back
Top Bottom