• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Going to Chicago...

Joliet. Lol. Bad ass prison. If you take a train to downtown be alert. Also beware of shoeshine guys. Was there on business back 2010. Wacker drive and State st. Grew up in rural Illinois. It is much different than Chitown. Dont get caught with a gun. Be aware of surroundings at all times as usual. I kinda liked going to Goats Head Taveren. Made famous by SNL way back. Cheese burger fry no Pepsi only Coke. The original is in a alley but there is also one on Navy pier. Hell take a cab ride. Most fun you will have. Enjoy and stay safe. Illinois. It aint what it once was.

IL native here, lived in Schaumberg for a year, and worked all over Chicago, but that was prior to 1989. Lombard is in the suburbs, I would stay in the suburbs. Get a Chicago hot dog, gyros, Italian beef sandwich, Lou Malnati's pizza. Cubs are WAY downtown, 40 miles from Lombard, no parking at stadium, Museum of Science and Industry is great, but that is a Saturday day trip, not the best part of town, and a wrong turn there can get you into trouble FAST. Lombard and the surrounding suburbs are good upper-middle class areas, and your hotel can steer you to good spots, and 2 days isn't enough time to do a lot.

DON'T CARRY, YOUR GA LICENSE IS NO GOOD THERE, YOU NEED AN IL RESIDENT FOID......FIREARMS OWNERS I D CARD.

2-day (Thursday/Friday) business trip to Chicago. Home base will be Lombard, IL.
What should I see?
What and where should I avoid?
What do EDC’ers carry in Illinois? Thanks

Don’t carry, it’s frowned upon.
Get a churro at Xoco.
Check out Wrigleyville.
Eat deep dish, no matter what your doctor says.
Get a beer with a local - George Wendt’s accent in Da Bears skits is dead on. They also really do still talk about how great that ‘85 team was.
Ride the ‘L’ . It makes you wish Atlanta could get it’s **** together and provide proper public transportation.
Stroll down the Riverwalk.
Billy Goat Tavern is what inspired Belushi to write ‘Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheesburger’. Fun place to watch a game. Go to Michigan Ave, the original one.
Flick the bean.
Just enjoy the city. It’s one of my favorite places to visit.

Gino's East pizza!
Years ago my chiropractor told me I had to go there if I was going to Chicago. At the Hilton, we told the doorman where we are going he smiles and says "so did you bring your buck knife to carve your name into the table?"

Initially we sat at the bar. It seriously looked like every inch of the bar had been signed, carved, or hacked on. On top of all that hacking and whittling, it looked like someone had personalized a good portion of the bar counter with a power router.

30 years later, I still remember that pizza joint. Was it the best pizza I ever had? NO! Memorable? YES!

Science and industry museum

Field museum

Deep dish Gino’s or Lou’s

Wrigleyville has a lot of cool bars

Go to the beach/lake shore dr

Get a real Chicago dog

Stay away from the south side

Back
Top Bottom