• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Go Give Blood!

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
In light of my recent blood work coming back good, I decided I want to start donating blood. Made my appointment for this Sunday at the American Red Cross in Athens. I had always wanted to before but was afraid of the needle. The blood they took from me the other day didn't hurt one bit. Donating blood is a good deed but also has health benefits for the donor like lowering BP, clots, stroke and heart attack risks, and improving mental health. Also, I'm curious what my type is. I go to Athens pretty regularly so I plan on trying to do this every 2 months.

I operated a courier service for a while in the 80’s …..
we used to do blood runs for Red Cross all the time. Charged them the minimum I could, usually enough to just pay the drivers. But we were always in the area anyway and it usually wasn’t any big deal. Plus you always got a thing to put up in the windshield to show cops you were delivering blood. It didn’t excuse you from speeding but they pretty much just left you alone on parking, etc.,

I've been donating for maybe 5 years now. A friend talked me into going with them, they shouted lunch, awesome.
And then I started getting a message every two months saying come on in, so WTH, I just go in an do it again.
Never put that much thought into it, it's easy and hopefully good karma somewhere down the line.
I try and find a appoinment time at one of the official Red Cross clinics the night before, and then it's no waiting, straight in and quickly out. The mobile blood drives can have you waiting around a bit sometimes.

I donated blood one time, because I finally had time to do it. The process was great and easy to do. Then they started hounding me relentlessly…..about when am I coming back in to give more blood. They have totally turned me away from donating any more blood. They were worse than any telemarketer.

They wouldn't let me give yesterday. My temp was 99.8 and you got to be under 99.5. Funny, I don't feel sick or feverish. Guess Ill try again in a few weeks.

They wouldn't let me give yesterday. My temp was 99.8 and you got to be under 99.5. Funny, I don't feel sick or feverish. Guess Ill try again in a few weeks.
I've got a friend who has tried several times, temp always runs high and it's stopped him each time. I've donated 18 pints so far, covid stopped me for awhile.

I just did my 27th donation back in Sept. The Red Cross app lets me do the survey, make my appointment, and track my donation. It even tells me what hospital used my blood. My biggest challenge is getting on the blood drive schedule. They generally try to go back to the same place every 60 days. I was donating at the high school because it was closest but the hurricane cancelled that drive and the schedule is now screwed up. Overall it's a pretty simple process and I don't mind taking some time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom