• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 19c myths busted?

bigbwright1

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
83   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a glock 19c gen 3 and I have read so many reviews saying not good for defense over all. The arguments were as follows:
1. In low light the flash out of the ports were blinding and disoriented them for several seconds. I shot mine at 11:00pm last night and it was DARK, I saw a flash but was immediately capable of a fallow up shot.
2. Firing from retention position, or close to body, to simulate a close encounter it would produce an extreme muzzle blast to the face to render you out of commission for a short while. I drew the weapon and with a slight cant of the gun to ensure the brass would clear my face and fired 3 shots and while a small blast was felt I was able to fire 3 rds easily
3. The last major argument I found was the loudness of the 'c' models would make it a bad decision for personal defense. While I did not fire it without ear pro. I understand it would be louder but in a personal defense situation are you really going to be concerned with how loud your gun is?

So my questions are what are these people talking about? there is a slight noticeable difference but not to where I would consider it a negative factor. I understand recoil is not bad in a 19 anyhow but the 'c' model is noticeably less and shoots like a dream and with less muzzle rise making follow up shot much easier to me.
Anyone who has had one or shot one and compared it to the standard 19 what was your experience?

What ammo where you using?

Most if not all my SD ammo is plus P. I also don't feel the 19 has enough recoil to warrant a comp, and IMO, why chance it with a comp?

- - - Updated - - -

Were*

I have a 23c and I wouldn't carry it because there are just so many variables of things that could cause an issue. In a self defense situation is it really worth the risk. The compensated models are sweet shooting guns but there are just too many things that could happen. Just my $.02

I have a 23C. Love it, no recoil. I say busted.

- - - Updated - - -

And its my carry gun.

Attachments

• image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 42
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 47
You are right about the sound issue being moot in an SD situation, at least in my experience.

I don't even remember the sound of the 40 cal round (+P) and I was in a condo breezeway. And my ears didn't ring afterwards.

Have run a C model glock, .40 in the past my rebuttals to your observations are as follows.

1. Flash is still greater than a non C model glock and the increase is unnecessary given the general lack of recoil of the pistols and follow up shot comparisons in my experience have more to do with the shooter than the gun unless we are talking competition and even then the "Competition" Glocks aren't ported, that should tell you something about how little effect it really has. Having done low light shooting you are going to get a muzzle flash regardless but less is preferable to more always.
2. That is true, in that it doesn't matter much, again still greater, but than again personal experience if you are bothered by a comped gun in this position a non comped gun isn't going to help much, but again what are you gaining with the comped gun?
3. Why, yes I do care if the damn thing is louder than it needs to be. Given the option I am all for suppressors and if all things being equal more noise is not preferred unless I am gaining something tangible in performance.

Now granted is was observations with a .40 over a 9mm, but most observations still stand. Also another one that you didn't speak on is that fact that you are pumping crude upwards from the barrel resulting in a firearm that is going to get dirtier quicker. Having bought guns from a number of individuals on here most don't seem to have a set cleaning schedule. A C model Glock after a few hundred rounds is pretty filthy and I have seen ones which the grim completely blacked out the front night site. General opinion from personal experience is that it is a pointless thing to have on a combat gun.

I have a 23c and I wouldn't carry it because there are just so many variables of things that could cause an issue. In a self defense situation is it really worth the risk. The compensated models are sweet shooting guns but there are just too many things that could happen. Just my $.02
Yeah you might get 2 cents stuck in the slots...haha

Back
Top Bottom