• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gkock 34 question...

NWGeorgiaSquatchman

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sons Of Thunder
163   0
Reaction score
So here is a question for you guys? I am thinking of putting a ported barrel on my G34. Read a few places that its not wise to do so if your going to run nights sights and I really wanna do that as well...does anyone have experience here and can they tell me if they re running both or one or the other? Thanks

I'm running mine with just a fiber optic front. My G34 is not a night stand gun but a range weapon. The barrel ports focus hot gases up into your sight plane, during daytime it's not a big deal. At night it messes with your night vision and a blast of bright hot gases right in the center of your field of vision is frowned upon and should be avoided.

Muzzle flip in a G34 is really not an issue for me and porting one seems a bit excessive but then it's an individual choice. I saw that Lone wolf makes barrels with ports all the way nearly to the chamber. Funny, I'm thinking it slows the round down quite a bit, how much? It would be cool to have someone post chronograph numbers with/without full length porting. Years ago one of the gun rags did a test on revolver that had the Magna Port treatment with FPS numbers before the treatment and after. If memory serves me, and I'm digging, it really didn't lower the velocity much, not really enough to make a difference but that was just two thin vents.

The porting did reduce muzzle flip on the magnum revolver as it was tested.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Thanks Ram! Yeah id like to see those numbers myself And I agree there isnt much muzzle rize at all from the 34 I just kinda like making things my own and would like to buy one of their match barrels and do a little engraving here and there. Figured id throw in the ports while I was at it but then again you might be right...might be a bit excessive. If I remember correctly, I believe their match, ported barrel was like $149.95 and it had a lifetime warranty on it. Plus I have always wanted a barrel that said "Smile, Wait for Flash" lol Prob childish but I think its funny as hell and would look neat. We shall see what direction I go, but the standard white on white sights just don't do much for me. I always liked night sights because for w/e reason the green made it easier for eyes to see. Plus it works great in low light to total darkness...thanks for your input and ill keep ya posted on what direction I go

Hey, my G34 is my nightstand gun (with attached flashlight) so I wouldn't do it on my G34 but yeah, it sounds like a blast (ha). YEah, anyway you go I would get rid of the default sights and put on night sights, fiber, etc. I love the Glocks but hate those damn place-keeper sights :) Whatever you end up doing, post some pics so we can all enjoy it. :)

i had a glock 23 and 23c. shot them side by side and the ported weapon was less accurate than the standard. either way i would run fiber optic sights and not waste the coin on night sights.

Ok, ok so yall convinced me. NO to the ported barrel but I still think im going to get a diff match grade barrel and just do some custom engraving on her. Ill post pics when it happens but not sure how long itll take. Now im going to have to figure out Fiber Optic or Night Sights lol

Someone please correct me if this is incorrect, but Dawson (only one?) makes a fiber optic that does not hang over the slide cut out. You can measure your front sight and it's easy to install. The glock rear U and fiber is actually a decent sight set up and quick to pick up.

The cheapest way to go for night sights and they are good sights too, is go to Glock. You can have them install your night sights for around $70 if memory serves me right.

The front fiber optic Dawson sight is $39 plus shipping. There are choices, so measure your sight or get the one that will work with the rear sight you choose. If you don't like the sight you can get most of your money back here on ODT. Upgraded sights and triggers are the two most common shooter changes to a pistol. The smile and wait for flash is clever on the muzzle. Lone wolf does other laser markings or custom as long as there is room and enough metal (9mm is good to go). http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C99-1278686009

I have seen some Glock gurus state that the Lone wolf "match grade barrel" is no more accurate than factory. So you might just look at having your stock barrel laser engraved on the muzzle and could save you coin. There won't be any potential issues with reliability as might be incurred with a barrel swap.

Last edited:
Someone please correct me if this is incorrect, but Dawson (only one?) makes a fiber optic that does not hang over the slide cut out. You can measure your front sight and it's easy to install. The glock rear U and fiber is actually a decent sight set up and quick to pick up.

The cheapest way to go for night sights and they are good sights too, is go to Glock. You can have them install your night sights for around $70 if memory serves me right.

The front fiber optic Dawson sight is $39 plus shipping. There are choices, so measure your sight or get the one that will work with the rear sight you choose. If you don't like the sight you can get most of your money back here on ODT. Upgraded sights and triggers are the two most common shooter changes to a pistol. The smile and wait for flash is clever on the muzzle. Lone wolf does other laser markings or custom as long as there is room and enough metal (9mm is good to go). http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C99-1278686009

I have seen some Glock gurus state that the Lone wolf "match grade barrel" is no more accurate than factory. So you might just look at having your stock barrel laser engraved on the muzzle and could save you coin. There won't be any potential issues with reliability as might be incurred with a barrel swap.

Thanks man! Yeah I have decided that if I swap a barrel itll just be for a match grade barrel. No more ports and ill look into that Dawson sight...

Back
Top Bottom