• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Give it to me straight on muzzle brakes...

One draw back to having a brake on a hunting gun is the reflected concussion if you are next to a tree or something. If getting hit with a tennis racket in the chest and face doesn't bother you, go for it. A linear comp that pushes the sound down range might be a better choice if you don't hunt suppressed.

I'm just not a big hunter. It bores me, so I don't have a hunting specific rifle.. But when I do hunt, I just force another rifle into service.

I’m not much of a hunter nowadays, either, which is why my designated hunting rifle is a very low round count rig. I’ve had it since 1994.

I just don’t see the reason for using a muzzle brake/comp on a bolt action .30-06 that will be used for hunting, and doesn’t need an attachment for a can. Different folks have different criteria they are looking for in a stick. When I do the pros and cons for me, it would be a no-go.

Accuracy is a game of consistency; consistency in the shooter, rifle, optic, ammo, etc. One of the ways to help achieve consistency is to reduced variables. Having a barrel threaded is a variable. The muzzle device itself is another variable. If you do decide to have the barrel threaded, make sure you use someone reputable and capable to do the work, or it can easily cost you accuracy. If you’re going to use a can, it’s even more important.

Having the break should help tighten groups due to less recoil. Most noticeable at long ranges. However not so good for by standers
Recoil has nothing to do with your group size, if you are applying proper shooting fundamentals. Muzzle devices can decrease or increase the size of your group (or move it).

I just don’t see the reason for using a muzzle brake/comp on a bolt action .30-06 that will be used for hunting, and doesn’t need an attachment for a can. Different folks have different criteria they are looking for in a stick. When I do the pros and cons for me, it would be a no-go.

Accuracy is a game of consistency; consistency in the shooter, rifle, optic, ammo, etc. One of the ways to help achieve consistency is to reduced variables. Having a barrel threaded is a variable. The muzzle device itself is another variable. If you do decide to have the barrel threaded, make sure you use someone reputable and capable to do the work, or it can easily cost you accuracy. If you’re going to use a can, it’s even more important.

Pretty much how I feel.

When I'm hunting, I generally intend to take 1 shot. I don't know that I see much utility in a brake for 1 shot, until you get to true elephant gun calibers where you are trying to protect your body some.

I know a lot of guides out west won't let you use a brake because they are the ones that suffer,

The more I think about it, I’m starting to lean this way as well. I have started wearing a shoulder pad at the range, and honestly, the 30-06 recoil doesn’t bother me that much. I feel like unless I’m really sold on the idea of a brake - then why introduce threading and potential other variables if I’m not feeling so hot about a brake in the first place? I can probably save some dough on the build by leaving out threading, thread protector and brake - more money for ammo and practice I suppose.

The more I think about it, I’m starting to lean this way as well. I have started wearing a shoulder pad at the range, and honestly, the 30-06 recoil doesn’t bother me that much. I feel like unless I’m really sold on the idea of a brake - then why introduce threading and potential other variables if I’m not feeling so hot about a brake in the first place? I can probably save some dough on the build by leaving out threading, thread protector and brake - more money for ammo and practice I suppose.
I have also always noticed that even when shooting something that might bother you a little when target shooting, you will not even notice the recoil when shooting at game. I am not sure if it has to do with adrenaline but that is what I always suspected.

I have also always noticed that even when shooting something that might bother you a little when target shooting, you will not even notice the recoil when shooting at game. I am not sure if it has to do with adrenaline but that is what I always suspected.

A 12 ga. shotgun with a hot load has recoil comparable to a .30-06, and clay target shooters routinely shoot 100 rounds a day. Some of them have chokes with muzzle brakes, mostly to control muzzle flip, but other wise they are able to get by.

Back
Top Bottom