• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Give it to me straight on muzzle brakes...

So the brake I will be getting with the rifle is the little bastard. I have decided that to begin with, I'm going to go with the brake off, zero my rifle, and get to know it over a few range sessions without the brake. If I eventually experiment with the brake, I'm going to try and find a day mid week where the range will be much less crowded. If it turns out that the brake is utterly life changing after trying it, then I'll stick with the brake from there. If it doesn't strike me as being a major improvement, then I'll sell the brake.

I don’t use a brake on hunting rifles. Rifles I don’t shoot much, and especially don’t shoot long strings out of. I prefer recoil to noise when I’m in the field, and my round count for the day will be 1-3 rounds total.

I don’t use a brake on hunting rifles. Rifles I don’t shoot much, and especially don’t shoot long strings out of. I prefer recoil to noise when I’m in the field, and my round count for the day will be 1-3 rounds total.
I agree. Muzzle brakes are for hard recoiling rifles like 50 BMG, or even some light weight magnums. About the only time I could see a use for them on a mild recoiling rifle like a .223, 300BO, 6.5G, 6.8SPC etc is if using for hog hunting or some styles of competition where fast follow up shots are needed. Otherwise they are more of a nuisance than anything else.

I agree. Muzzle brakes are for hard recoiling rifles like 50 BMG, or even some light weight magnums. About the only time I could see a use for them on a mild recoiling rifle like a .223, 300BO, 6.5G, 6.8SPC etc is if using for hog hunting or some styles of competition where fast follow up shots are needed. Otherwise they are more of a nuisance than anything else.
I use to spot my misses. Hunting or anything else, can on

My primary hunting rifle is a Remington 788 .308 that’s been tuned up slightly. She shoots fantastic, and I don’t want to ruin the weight and balance by hanging my can off the end, especially with that very light tapered barrel.

I have some rifles that I will probably hunt with at some time that I will use my can on.

My primary hunting rifle is a Remington 788 .308 that’s been tuned up slightly. She shoots fantastic, and I don’t want to ruin the weight and balance by hanging my can off the end, especially with that very light tapered barrel.

I have some rifles that I will probably hunt with at some time that I will use my can on.
I'm just not a big hunter. It bores me, so I don't have a hunting specific rifle.. But when I do hunt, I just force another rifle into service.

Back
Top Bottom