Girlfriend w/ bio degree needs a job in savannah

Georgia DNR Coastal Resources Division which is based in Brunswick, GA often has job listings. Go to http://www.gadnr.org/careers for information. She can sign up for emails of job postings and download applications. She should also consider the Wildlife Resources Division which includes Fisheries Management and Game Management sections; and the Environmental Protection Division which also maintains an office in Brunswick. State Parks & Historic Sites Division is also in the area. From time to time, internships are offered in any of the Divisions. I wish her the best in her job search.

Last edited:
My wife wasted over 4 years in Macon taking bio technology and THEN found out that the only jobs in that field in middle GA are at water treatment plants and poultry processors. So at this moment sh drives a delivery truck for OReilly.

If she has bio related jobs lined up RUN WITH THEM AND DONT LOOK BACK!!!!

I have a BS in BIO/ Pre-med i have been out of school since 2012 and have yet to find a single Bio related field. Typically the only way you get true bio jobs is with a minimum of Masters however most places wont even look at you unless you have a doctorate.

In reality a BS in BIO is really supposed to be a steping stone to a Med field job of some sort.

Also remember the longer break she takes the less future colleges will look at her, i started applying and a common questions i get is, why did you wait instead of continuing straight out her BS.

I echo the above ^^ and I've been out of school for 35 years. I doubt if it's changed much, but that's what I remember as well.

There is a shortage of science teachers in GA public schools. Look into the TAPP program at the Georgia Professional Standards Commission on how to become certified.

captionsearch.com_pix_nboo0mubsw.jpg

This had me crying! :lol:

BS in biology? Decent pay? I lol'd. She needs to go to grad school for that. I think the better state jobs start in the mid-thirties these days. And she'd eventually have to move to Atlanta to follow the career path on up. That's a lot better than it used to be. I started for a state agency in the late nineties at $22, 539.00. I will never forget that number. Got my experience and turned consultant the first chance I got!

So, anyhow, yeah...GRAD SCHOOL.

Even with pay just under $30K (a job with the Environmental Protection Division, Brunswick District Office { see page 17 http://www.gadnr.org/sites/uploads/dnrnet/pdf/DNR_Vacancy_Announcement_previous.pdf }), the job will offer flexible work schedules. Health Insurance through the State Health Benefit Plan with BCBS starts at $66.28 per month for the Bronze Plan which isn't bad for full health coverage for a single person. Considering Brunswick has a lower cost of living than the Atlanta area, there may be some unrealized benefits there. After a 6 month work test, there will be a pay boost. A couple of years of service would be good on a resume for jobs in industry, municipalities, or consulting.

BTW, the District offices offer career paths for advancement in addition to the Atlanta office. I work in State government in a District office and will soon have my 30 years this summer when I plan to retire. For me, the State has been very good. There have been changes over the years- in 2009 the pension was reduced to 30% plus a 401K with a 3% match. My office recently hired a consultant who worked long hours traveling several states. We hired him at a level 3 which earns over $35K.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom