• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting ready for them turkeys!

Well I guess I'll throw the shotgun back in the truck, just in case I see a Tom that hangs around long enough for me to shoot. My hearing is so bad, there isn't any need in me trying to call birds anymore.

Called a jake in yesterday evening, he stayed just out of my comfortable range before eventually leaving out of the field. He came in looking for a fight it seemed like. This morning I had a hen come through and heard a couple gobbling in the distance. Bright side is my wife's grandfather killed one yesterday morning with his new shotgun we got him for his birthday.

Called a jake in yesterday evening, he stayed just out of my comfortable range before eventually leaving out of the field. He came in looking for a fight it seemed like. This morning I had a hen come through and heard a couple gobbling in the distance. Bright side is my wife's grandfather killed one yesterday morning with his new shotgun we got him for his birthday.

Sounds like a successful hunt. Next time you deal with a Jake, try doing a kee kee run call on a diaphragm call. Hens do it a lot in the Fall or when separated from their brood. They work really well with Jakes especially because they are still juveniles and sometimes are effective on other call-shy birds. It’s a very underutilized call and a lot of birds don’t hear it much in the spring woods.

Sounds like a successful hunt. Next time you deal with a Jake, try doing a kee kee run call on a diaphragm call. They work really well with Jakes especially, and sometimes are effective on other call-shy birds. It’s a very underutilized call and a lot of birds don’t hear it much in the spring woods.
it was a successful hunt, it got me addicted. He came in and left and I called him back and he was calling back. I gotta get used to diaphragm calls, I was using one of the knight and hale box calls that's on a spring with a plunger, I was doing a cutt purr when he responded and came back in.

May be a stupid question but when you get busted by deer does it tank your turkey hunt? The ones I heard gobbling this morning seemed like they were getting closer then got busted by two does and the gobbling stopped.

Back
Top Bottom