• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting ready for them turkeys!

Been a 5 year drought of turkeys here in twiggs. First one from this club but with cutting and plots we are seeing more.
I’ve watched the population at my lease decline steadily over the years. 8 years ago I was calling in numerous birds each season, but now I find myself calling in maybe one bird per season if I am lucky.

I’ve watched the population at my lease decline steadily over the years. 8 years ago I was calling in numerous birds each season, but now I find myself calling in maybe one bird per season if I am lucky.
Fingers crossed but I'm finally starting to get a decent population. My place was clearcut back in the early 2000's and until the last few years it has been dog hair thick. The trees have finally regenerated and grown enough that the turkeys have a place to scratch around and roost.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to hunt this year. I had to do some bush hogging down there yesterday and my dad went with me and stayed in the camp while I mowed. While he was waiting, several toms strolled through the patch of woods adjacent to camp gobbling their heads off. I guess I should have taken the shotgun with me.

Went 7 times ON 4 TRIPS DIDN,T EVEN HEAR A BIRD heard 3 different TOMs Called IN 2 and killed 1. I am done Turkey hunting this spring Main reason Turkeys numbers in my area way down doubt it will every get any better again do to several things> (HEARING SAME THING FROM OTHERS FOLKS IN GA & OTHER STATES AS WELL) Totals this season 31 hrs hunting called in 3 hens 2 toms 1 barred owl and one coyote didn't get the shot on the little wolf

Same here..10 years ago it was fairly easy to get 1 or 2 a year in Cordele and Oglethorpe..hunted Haralason and Carroll and got a few but a challenge..going on 6th year here and had one or 2 good mornings of gobbling the quiet bu 9. Today didnt hear a bird so far.

I’ve deviated from my old routine of hunting my lease all season and have started hunting public land more. My lease has never held many birds during the Spring and I’ve spent many days there without hearing a gobble. I’ve gotten on several birds hunting public land and haven’t had any issues with other hunters, mainly because I’m getting back a couple of miles deep.
@Smokejr2 and I will be back in one of my favorite public land spots come Monday. Hopefully, I can get him on a bird.

Came real close to sealing the deal on a big longbeard this morning, but he was too far. Heard 8 birds and covered a lot of ground.
471FAEDB-636C-4200-8F21-9843217114E8.png

Back
Top Bottom