• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting my 64 chevy pickup ready, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
I am by no means a mechanic, but I want to get my 64 chevy pick up back on the road. It has been sitting since the early 1990's. My dad told me it needed some rear end work, bearings were going bad. The gas tank will need to be cleaned I am sure, and the motor is currently on an engine stand where it has been for about 25 years. It ran fine before hand, but sure it will need some work to get it going. Anyone on here do this type of work or know anyone who does?

Ive built a couple ford 9" and one dana 70. You"ll need a press and bearing puller to replace the carrier bearings on the spool. Note all shim thicknesses and if your ring and pinion are in good condition and wearing good, just go back with a rebuild kit. Check backlash with a drop indicator. Rebuild kit includes carrier bearings, pinion bearing, seals and other various items specific to your differential like crush washers. Not sure what axle that truck has but should be no big deal.

Wish you were closer. Id lend a hand fo sho. You can get a kit for your fuel tank too. Acid cleans it and then epoxy coats it. Thats if a replacement isnt available which Id be surprised if one is not.

What's wrong with the engine? And why would it get removed if it was running ok?

Probably need to remove the tank and wash it out

If its not full of rust and dirt it may be ok

Ive built a couple ford 9" and one dana 70. You"ll need a press and bearing puller to replace the carrier bearings on the spool. Note all shim thicknesses and if your ring and pinion are in good condition and wearing good, just go back with a rebuild kit. Check backlash with a drop indicator. Rebuild kit includes carrier bearings, pinion bearing, seals and other various items specific to your differential like crush washers. Not sure what axle that truck has but should be no big deal.

Bad part is the chevy rear end ain't nothing like a 9" ford. Don't worry about the shim placement, it has to be set up from the start due to different brands of bearings and races have different thicknesses and chance everything. Better let a gear guy do that one.

I would say you should go through the motor. You didn't say what size, so let's say a 350. You can get a erring kit for $200. Figure another $100 for tools you may not have. If money not a object reman long blocks are a little over double. The rear if it has ring and pinion damage. Might be easier to just replace with another. The rear out of a Chevy 60-70 should work. Pull apart have them. The fuel tank I would just replace with a new sender. Do a google search to confirm but the spindles I think are the same for trucks in the late 70's , this will let you change from drum front breaks to disk. Ran several of these trucks when I was younger.

I do that kind of stuff all the time, but I started out as a kid working on bicycles when I was about 8 or 10 years old.

The simplest thing to do with the rear end is find one that's in good shape, change the dope, paint, and install.

The best thing Ford ever did was the 9" rear end.

Without any mechanical experience your best bet will be to buy a repair manual, but there is a lot of stuff that the manual ain't gonna tell you.

I would suggest that you find a coach of some sort that's near by.

I had a nice 65 custom cab Chevy short bed with factory power steering, powered by a 400 Pontiac engine, and a 67 GMC LWB stepside with three on the tree powered by an original V6.

I have long gotten rid of these vehicles.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom