• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generic brand canned food vs. more expensive national brands for storage

Same cans, just a different product. I would go based on taste preferences. I like Publix brand on a lot of stuff. Watch out for dented cans, if the seal that is sprayed inside the can is broken, long term storage can contaminate the product.

Thanks for all the replies... I sort of started this thread because a guy I know worked in a peach cannery about 20 years ago. He said that back then they packed peaches into unmarked cans, let them sit about a year in a warehouse so and then put the labels on the cans for whatever brand bought them.

He claimed that the year long wait was to let any cans that had problems bulge/pop and let any bees or bee parts break down before the cans were sent to market. Apparently bees were a real problem in the cannery. He said that by the end of the summer he wouldn't even notice a dozen bee stings from that day's shift. Anyway- not trying to derail the generic/name brand theme for this thread, just what he talked about from his child hood.

And I know about botulism and bulging cans. Trash them... you can't cook the poison enough to eat it- it's not the bug, it's the byproduct that is poison when a can is bulged.

I'm also happy to report that Wolf brand chili is on sale at the local Kroger for $1.25 per can- and it's 700 calories per can.

We buy whenever we see big sales. We have them shelved by expiration date and eat what is closest to expiring. We throw out very little. I'd guess we are running close to a years supply right now. Last year Kroger had a sale on Del Monte (I think) at 27 cents a can. Man do we get looks from the cashiers when we buy everything on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom