• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generic brand canned food vs. more expensive national brands for storage

dial1911

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
99   0
Reaction score
Maybe it's been covered before, but my quick search or two didn't turn up anything on the Survival forum. Possibly I'm just lazy...

What's your opinion on storing canned food? Better to keep the national brands or do you think generic/store brands keep just as well? Obviously eventually cans rust and/or the contents expire. I suppose the seals or the can materials could be inferior on the generic stuff, but part of me just thinks the national brands selling basically the same product at a higher cost... I don't know.

It hit me the other day that instead of keeping X number of cans on hand, I could do it with the Kroger/Great Value brand at a much lower cost or store more food for the same cost.

Either should be fine.

We are now researching can coatings,and some of the interior coatings are basically synthetic estrogen. The FDA says there is no health risk, but hundreds of published reports say otherwise. I suspect this will force a change, but for now almost all commercially canned foods have this.

Either should be fine.

We are now researching can coatings,and some of the interior coatings are basically synthetic estrogen. The FDA says there is no health risk, but hundreds of published reports say otherwise. I suspect this will force a change, but for now almost all commercially canned foods have this.

As with anything based on "science", read the studies backing the published reports conclusions. Are the conclusions based on studies where test subjects where exposed to max dosages over an extended period of time? Too much of anything (even water - water intoxication) can be bad for you.

Eden foods touts it BPA free lining: http://www.edenfoods.com and Trader Joe's claims its cans are BPA free: http://www.traderjoes.com/

Last edited:
So would glass containers be better, worse or about the same? I know you can't get all the same stuff in glass as you can in cans but for long term storage would one be better over the other? (And I'm talking about buying pre-sealed at the store).

So would glass containers be better, worse or about the same? I know you can't get all the same stuff in glass as you can in cans but for long term storage would one be better over the other? (And I'm talking about buying pre-sealed at the store).

Would sunlight be an issue w/ glass? I don't know, just wondering...

Would sunlight be an issue w/ glass? I don't know, just wondering...

Light,Heat,Oxygen and Moisture are the enemies to storage life....glass can be ok as long as it is in a cabinet that never gets opened,it still won't be as long as canned...don't keep your food in your garage,or your attic,or your crawl space (unless said crawlspace is completely underground)...

Back
Top Bottom