• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fusion 1911 build thread...Done! (for real this time) !!

Well, its done ..... SURPRISE Its a Two tone!! and I dont mean surprise to you, I mean it was a surprise to ME!!!!!

I ordered a CARBON steel kit. There is really no easy way to tell the difference between 400 series stainless and carbon in the white! they both cut the same, and are both magnetic. Its not untill you TRY TO BLUE IT!! LOL, that you can tell the difference!! After about 10 min in the salts, I pulled it out to check on it and it was as shiny as when it went in!!:mmph:

I think the finished product looks fine, It certainly shoots better than any gun Ive ever owned, its just not what I had planned. I spoke to Fusion (calmly) and he offered to have it ION BOND DLC coated. This is a modern process that looks similar to bluing but is more durable. I would need to have the whole gun done, and Im not sure they will pay for the reciever, then I have to ship the darn thing off for god only knows how long...... Think Ill just leave it. I know some folks really like the two tone. Ill shoot it for a while and probably sell/trade it here sooner than later...:rolleyes:

What do you guys think, leave it like it is, or say goodbye and ship it off for a coating? I really would like some input.

fusion22.jpg

fusion24.jpg

fusion23.jpg

fusion25.jpg

Last edited:
While it looks great I would do the ion bonding at least or request they give you what you ordered a carbon steel slide. Then do what you set out to accomplish. They really should eat the cost on screwing up the entire metallurgy you requested. That's poor business on their part and should not be accepted as the standard.

Your metal finishing work is well above par and deserves what you requested.

If they accept the terms then I would keep the slide for a stainless project but would be willing to pay them their cost at the most for "their" error. It was your time and efforts involved that while not wasted did not fruit as expected.

Edit, the flats are not polished, did you intend it so? If blasted finish was the intent then the ion bond would be better than hot blue. I would consider ion bonding the frame to match and Fusion should cut you an acceptable deal if that's the azithmuth you shot.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.. Those are both good input.
RamRoddoc, Im inclined to agree. Either he (Bob Serva) covers the cost of ION Bond for the whole gun, or sell me a carbon slide at cost. The Ion Bond process will deff. be more durable, and Im sure it will look nice, Its just not what I had planned. The whole point to this was to build AND finish my own 1911!

Yep, the frame flats are not polished, I had planned on polishing them, but after the RIA guns we blued, I decided I liked the matte finish of the frame. I may still polish them..

OK, so I spoke with Fusion. Bob, the ownerand he agreed to sell me another slide (carbon steel lol) at a pretty good price. Probably not quite his cost, but close. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so. Ill either hold onto this Stainless slide for a future build or sell it to recover the extra cost of the second slide.

Now just keep your fingers crossed the new slide can be made to fit anywhere near as good as this one ( Ive never felt a 1911 with such a smooth tight fitting slide)....

Back
Top Bottom