• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fusion 1911 build thread...Done! (for real this time) !!

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Here is something Ive wanted to do for years, build my own 1911. This will be my "ultimate range toy" 1911.
I shopped around and looked at all the choices of 1911 frame/slide kits and settled on Fusion Firearms. I will try and make this thread as un-bias as possible and give good feedback on the various parts that go into this build for anyone out there who has been thinking of doing the same thing.

Ordering the frame/slide/barrel from Bob Serva at Fusion went smoothly. He is fairly easy to get a hold of and very friendly to talk to. He gave me a guesstimate of 3 weeks for the kit to arrive. It took right at 6 weeks. This was a long and frustrating wait. I didnt hear from Fusion as the three week mark passed, I called them at 4 weeks, he explained they were waiting on some barrels. So although the wait was twice the original quote, the parts were worth the wait.
This is the Pro series in .45acp. This is what it looked like right out of the box.

fusion1.jpg

Ive held and shot a lot of 1911s, and this gun has one of the best fitting slides Ive ever seen. VERY nice!!! The barrel locks up perfect, and I can just barely turn the bushing by hand.

I ordered most of the small parts from Fusion about a week ago, still waiting on those. I recieved the stuff I ordered from Brownells in the usual 2 days.
In fairness, fusion is a small buisness and I expect orders to take a little longer than the big guys.

First project was the slide stop. The frame comes countersunk for the SS pin, I opened that countersink up a bit, and flush cut the end of the pin.

fusion5.jpg

Then I checkered the slide stop pin. I think it looks pretty good. The Fusion Slide Stop was nice, better than some cheaper ones, but not quite on par with the Wilson Combat bullet proof, but not the price either.

fusion6.jpg

fusion7.jpg

The beavertail grip safety is a Chip McCormick. Brownells had them on sale and I like the look, so I went with it. Had some castin marks and seams in it, but it fit the frame really well.

fusion8.jpg
fusion9.jpg
fusion11.jpg

Last edited:
I cant go any farther on blending the beavertail till my mainspring housing and ambi thumb safety (Im lefty) get here. Im using spare parts to mock it up, but want the real parts to do the final blend.

Next up were the sights. I used a Kensight rear, pretty much a drop in. The front sight is a gold bead from SDM. These come as blanks and need to be fit to your slide.

fusion10.jpg

Spent a good bit of time on the front sight, but its in. The front of the slide is ready for bead blast

fusion12.jpg

fusion13.jpg

fusion14.jpg

Next update will come when the rest of the parts get here. Im pretty excited about this build. Its going well so far. Hopefully it continues to go so well.

I just got my brownells 1911 magazine! They have everything from Wilson Combat frames to Les Baer and Ed Brown parts! Everything a guy could want for a build!

I just got my brownells 1911 magazine! They have everything from Wilson Combat frames to Les Baer and Ed Brown parts! Everything a guy could want for a build!

To be totally honest, it was that damn Brownells 1911 catalog that finally got me of my butt and started doing this!! so many goodies in there!

Looks like a great build! I really like the checkering of the slide stop. I haven't seen that done before. Interesting.

Is this a stainless slide/frame?

Thanks, i hadnt seen the checkering done either. Just something a little different.
Its carbon in the white. It will get the same home blue treatment as the RIA officers I did.
I really like that finish( thanks again!) and I think this one will look good with it.

Wow, its been a while since Ive had a chance to post anything on this thread.

The gun is just about ready for bluing. Still needs some polishing and bead blasting. I went with mostly Fusion parts and have mixed emotions. Most of the parts were pretty nice, but the Thumb safety has taken a lot of time. It really doesnt match the slide release at all!! I had to completely re-shape it, and thin it out to get it to match, Even then, they have different serrations on the top. IMHO this is pretty sorry for a company to put out parts like this that dont even match each other. I didnt notice the diff. sertions till I had already fit it, so I cant return it. So I figured Id fit it the best I could and Get something different later. Other that that, Im really happy with the pistol, Had a chance to test fire it the other night and it shot great. Should have no problem getting it done in time to blue next weekend.

Ill post pics of the finished product when I can.
-Mark

fusion15.jpgfusion20.jpgfusion19.jpg

fusion21.jpg

fusion16.jpgfusion17.jpgfusion18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom