• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

here is my two cents on this thing...while it shirts the boundry of ATF the use of off shelf ammo sounds like its just bridging a gap until the SAMMI folks start developing new stabilization techniques which may end up revolutionizing the firearms world and ammo market..I could envision some technological break throughs a couple of revisions ahead.

I say it has potential. They could have waited and actually had some new ammo design or something other than giving a half assed product. "Hey, we made this in 5.56, which sucks! But it really needs to be .300BLK which we don't have yet or didnt bring, Oh, and look at this prototype ammo!! Give us your money so we can flop!"

here is my two cents on this thing...while it shirts the boundry of ATF the use of off shelf ammo sounds like its just bridging a gap until the SAMMI folks start developing new stabilization techniques which may end up revolutionizing the firearms world and ammo market..I could envision some technological break throughs a couple of revisions ahead.
I agree. However it is not likely to replace the mil ammo amd cheap surplus.

If that non-rifled grooved barrel (straight lands and grooves w/o any twist) can TRULY keep 4 MOA with standard .223 / 5.56 ammo...
...then I’ll be impressed and I’ll say this gun, even at $2000 cost, has something good to bring to the table for CQB or home defense.

However, at this moment I am very skeptical that such a firearm can get 2 inch groups at 50 yards which is what the people on the video claimed.(Well they actually claimed 4 minute of angle, but they also said you wouldn’t be shooting a weapon like this past 50 yards. Four M.O.A. at 50 yards would be a 2 inch group .

A 2 inch group, or even a four-inch group, is plenty of accuracy for self-defense purposes on your own property.

On a different facet of this story:

I think that the term “smoothbore” as it relates to firearms and shotguns is something of a term of art. I would say that you can’t know the true definition of a smoothbore until you contrast it with a rifled bore.
Therefore a lands-and-grooves-barrel bore weapon whose rifling does not have any twist rate might STILL be considered a smoothbore because it does not spin the projectiles.

I don’t think ATF would be overreaching if it demanded that all firearm barrels be classified as either smoothbore or rifled-bore, with no gray area and no middle ground. And if that’s how ATF viewed this weapon, it would have to be a short-barreled something-or-nother.

On a different facet of this story:

I think that the term “smoothbore” as it relates to firearms and shotguns is something of a term of art. I would say that you can’t know the true definition of a smoothbore until you contrast it with a rifled bore.
Therefore a lands-and-grooves-barrel bore weapon whose rifling does not have any twist rate might STILL be considered a smoothbore because it does not spin the projectiles.

I don’t think ATF would be overreaching if it demanded that all firearm barrels be classified as either smoothbore or rifled-bore, with no gray area and no middle ground. And if that’s how ATF viewed this weapon, it would have to be a short-barreled something-or-nother.
Well i think because there is no definition, it does fall under the catch all "firearms" label.

Back
Top Bottom