• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Armory BFS-III binary trigger

I didn't have any hammer follows the first 500 or so rounds. Seems like it's been doing it more often now. Tried switching trigger and buffer springs, haven't taken it back out yet but will chime in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didn't have any hammer follows the first 500 or so rounds. Seems like it's been doing it more often now. Tried switching trigger and buffer springs, haven't taken it back out yet but will chime in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you have the 2nd generation (the original one) or the 3rd (the one they ship now as the BFS-III)?

No, I never had it go dead like they show the gen 2 version doing. My only issue has been a few light strikes... maybe 3-4 out of the 150 rounds I put through it. They typically happened when I had a good long burst going though, which is why I still suspect they action is cycling too fast.

I'm going to try the heavy buffer first, and if that fixes it... great. I also a have a Wolff 'extra power' hammer spring to try if that doesn't do it.
I know this is probably a dumb question, but how does slowing the bolt cycling help the light strike problem?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but how does slowing the bolt cycling help the light strike problem?

No idea... I'm making this up as I go along.

I don't get light strikes in semi-auto, just the binary mode so I figured it might have something to do with the cycle rate. I shot it again tonight (about 150 rounds) and it did actually help, but not 100%. I still had a 2 light strikes.

This is with Wolf steel case, so maybe with brass I wouldn't see any problems at all, but I figure this is 'worst case'. Looks like the extra power hammer spring is next.

BTW, I got a lesson tonight about what separates a cheapo AR mag from one like a PMAG. I kept having feed problems with this 'Plinkster' mag I brought if I loaded it past 15 rounds or so. It worked fine on semi, but would cause misfeeds when I went to binary. Lesson learned there too.

I picked up the Franklin one last year. Installed in an Anderson lower to test it out. Ran a PSA upper on it with no issues. Put a Bravo Company upper on it and can't get more than a shot or two before it fails. Threw it in the safe and haven't messed with it since...

One of these in a 9mm AR would be great... I can keep all the shots in roughly a dinner-plate sized group shooting long bursts at 15-20 yards or so (indoor range), but there's still plenty of flyers. I'll bet a 9mm AR would be a lot more controllable.

No idea... I'm making this up as I go along.

I don't get light strikes in semi-auto, just the binary mode so I figured it might have something to do with the cycle rate. I shot it again tonight (about 150 rounds) and it did actually help, but not 100%. I still had a 2 light strikes.

This is with Wolf steel case, so maybe with brass I wouldn't see any problems at all, but I figure this is 'worst case'. Looks like the extra power hammer spring is next.

BTW, I got a lesson tonight about what separates a cheapo AR mag from one like a PMAG. I kept having feed problems with this 'Plinkster' mag I brought if I loaded it past 15 rounds or so. It worked fine on semi, but would cause misfeeds when I went to binary. Lesson learned there too.
You may be making it up as you go, but it sounds like it's working out for you!

I've heard that Wolf and Tula both have pretty hard primers, so I bet the increased power spring will probably help.

It's actually pretty easy to modify a milspec LPK to fire on pull and release just like the BFS and Echo triggers, but it's still only two-position so you lose normal "semi" function and if you run it too fast you'll get hammer follow. That's with a standard buffer though.

Back
Top Bottom