? for you dual sport guys...

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
So I got my first bike when I was around 13. It was a Yamaha DT100. Street legal (not that I was) and plenty capable for the trail work I put it through. Miss that little thing. I spent the next 30 years on street bikes, never having another dual sport. What I'm trying to say is... I know squat about them.
Fast forward to today and I have a 17 year old who has outgrown his CRF100 (He's just too tall for it, he's a very conservative rider so it's not a power issue) and I think we'd both enjoy hitting some forest roads.

1) Do you need a driver's license to ride on Forest Roads? (He doesn't have his yet). Does the bike have to be street legal?
2) I've seen a lot of mention of the Yamaha WR250, but for what he'd likely do (light trail riding) is the XT really that big of a 'step down'?
3) Generally speaking what is the best deal in a dual sport that would get light trail and road use. (No Chinese bikes are not an option.) This would never be a commuter for any real distance and would never see hard riding off road. Again, the definitive 'trail' bike.

Thx.

Can't beat a Honda. I would think it would need to street legal for forest roads and a DL required.

That's correct for sure. :thumb:
In the National Forest you must be licensed and it must be tagged, registered and insured.

Edited to add; There are a FEW places designated where the above isn't correct. I found them few and far between, the closest one is up towards Dahlonega and it's BUSY!

If he’s on the shorter side check into the Honda crf250l , it’s out the door price new is at like $4999, I have a connection if you need it ...

I have a like new 2018 Kawasaki KLX250 with 1300 miles if interested. Similar performance to the Honda CRF250L or WR250R.

That being said, it sounds like a TW200 would suit him. They’re a blast if all out performance isn’t needed.

That's correct for sure. :thumb:
In the National Forest you must be licensed and it must be tagged, registered and insured.

Edited to add; There are a FEW places designated where the above isn't correct. I found them few and far between, the closest one is up towards Dahlonega and it's BUSY!
The link from Don above took me here. https://www.n-georgia.com/orv_trails.htm Looks like there's some pretty good options. But he would be licensed soon anyway so the roads would be an option.

I have a like new 2018 Kawasaki KLX250 with 1300 miles if interested. Similar performance to the Honda CRF250L or WR250R.

That being said, it sounds like a TW200 would suit him. They’re a blast if all out performance isn’t needed.
I might have been but is it really a 35" seat height? https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2020-KLX250?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS
If so, that wouldn't work. He's not tall enough for that and still very much a 'new' rider.

Not sure a TW would work as it could ultimately be a school commuter (though I break out in hives thinking about that).

How much you want

Back
Top Bottom