• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

I got this one for sealing meat to freeze or put in the sous vide. It's small, inexpensive and does the job. When you register it, they send you a couple more rolls for free.

Thanks
I looked at it on Amazon
for $60 that’s a pretty cheap way to try it out.
Especially when you factor in a couple of the free rolls of bags.

At that point that are practically paying me to use it.
Haha

I bought the NESCO VS-02 American Harvest vacuum sealer in 2015 and haven't had any issues. I've learned that it's important to place a second seal after the first vacuum/seal. And not all bags are created equal. I bought the VonShelf brand bags which are textured on one side of the bag so air can be vacuumed better. Here's my sealer:
https://smile.amazon.com/VS-02-Vacuum-Sealing-System-Starter/dp/B00IUAK39A/ref=sr_1_2?crid=29L9D7N37QSNP&keywords=American+Harvest+vacuum+sealer&qid=1644617891&sprefix=american+harvest+vacuum+sealer,aps,82&sr=8-2&th=1

My preferences and experience:
1. always place a second seal after the first.
2. I run the extended vacuum/seal mode.
3. be mindful that the continued use of thermal sealing will temporarily shut off the thermal component which is a built-in safety measure. Give it a few minutes to cool down and it will go again.
4. I have used freezer paper to wrap prime rib which is then bagged and vacuumed with double sealing. These roasts have lasted more than a year and still taste wonderful. I know that the USDA recommends 6 months but proper wrapping and sealing is important for longevity.
5. The VS-02 has an air port for connecting Tygon tubing to vacuum seal jars and buckets but I have never used that feature.
Yes I assumed just like plastic storage bags and trash bags that they “were not created equal”

Thanks for the insight on the Vonshelf

And good tips with the safety thermal component getting to hot and the double seals!

We have a food saver brand (but get another brand of bags from Amazon). We use it for Everything in the freezer. If it’s liquid or soft, freeze it in a plastic container then vacuum seal it or it will make a mess of it. We put up a lot from the garden every year and anything cooked in advance goes in there. This is one of 3 freezers at our house. I just happened to have taken today to show the wife we need another.

Edit: end purpose-you get more stuff in the freezer and it keeps longer.

View attachment 3978299
Great looking freezer!
That’s what my wife is going for.
She is super organized and OCD about certain things so the ability to package food for maximum storage and “cuteness” (as she calls it) will make her happy.

Now I have to start researching more freezers!

Do you happen to know what brand you use from Amazon?
I’m just curious if you have one you prefer or just use whatever is available or on sale?

We have a cabelas vacuum sealer for two years you can’t go wrong with it. We vacuum pack all of our deer we get and fish we catch. Never had a problem with it. They are the best you can get in my opinion for under $300. And there dehydrater is great to.
There have been quite a few good reviews for Cabelas
I will have to look at their dehydraters too.

My parents and grand parents used to make deer jerky every year and always had a competition of who’s was the best.
They would constantly tweak the recipes each year.

It’s the best money you can spend!
That’s what Im gathering here.

I didn’t know I needed one so bad until I started reading these threads.

I just assumed it was going to be another decoration sitting in the kitchen
She’s going to be made when I put her to work with it.
Haha

They are the bomb! I’ve been growing hops and after drying use the food saver to pack them away from mean ole mr oxygen. When I hike I keep matches, a pair dry socks sucked tight. I keep a spare set clothes packed in vehicle. You’ll find so many uses. They also work great for fast marinade of meat.
Oh yeah!
I didn’t think about the ability to water proof something with a food sealer too!!

Fire starter kit, food, clothing, essential papers/books, batteries, electronics, etc…
What else?

This vacuum sealer keeps rising on my “must have” list!

I took a Prep class at the food bank on Jimmy Carter Blvd run by the Mormoms, I bought a food sealer and put it away, my wife just found it now saying why did, I not tell her I had a food sealer, I just said I forgot we had it, this happened 3 minutes ago.
Haha

Good now that it’s back out on the counter top you can get back to using it.

When was the class? Do they still do them there?
Are they good?
Have you ever bought their bulk stuff before?

Oh yeah!
I didn’t think about the ability to water proof something with a food sealer too!!

Fire starter kit, food, clothing, essential papers/books, batteries, electronics, etc…
What else?

This vacuum sealer keeps rising on my “must have” list!
Yep, once yall get one and start using it, you will wonder how you got along without one :cool-new:

Back
Top Bottom