• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

gunner1982

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
50   0
Reaction score
For whatever reason my wife just sent me a text that she wants a food vacuum sealer.

So that means I’m buying one…

Jokes on her, I am going to turn her new kitchen toy into another survival/ prepper tool.

So who does it?
What are your thoughts on the the brands of sealers out there?
I assume i will spend $100-$200 on a sealer to try it out.

And for the other 1/2 of the process -
What about the bags? Is there a difference in performance and price?
Which brand do your prefer?

What foods do amazing?
Which have you had issues sealing?

What’s the end state/purpose of yours?
You get to fit more in your freeze and it lasts longer?
Any other benefits?

Do you use it for non frozen items too?

What else do I need to know.
I need to learn from others mistakes!!
So don’t be scared. Chime in and drop all the knowledge!

Thanks,
Mike

We got one that has the jar/canning attachment to it. She uses Mason jars quite a bit for shelf storage of rice, beans, dry foods, etc..
She really likes it…. most of the better brands have the option too it. Buy a good one the first time, you wont be disappointed!! It will help pay for itself.
She also will help me seal up meats I buy in bulk sometimes or get some meat from hunts. They work real good for marinating too !! You can take thawed meat and dust it with your fav spices and marinade, suck the air out of it and stick it in the fridge overnight…..it pulls the flavors deep into the meat.

I have a Cabela's sealer. I believe it's as close as you can get to a professional model. The bags they sell are also a higher quality. It also has the jar attachment. About the only thing that ever goes on the sealer is the gasket, and it's easy to get one as Cabela's sells them online or at the store.

I bought the NESCO VS-02 American Harvest vacuum sealer in 2015 and haven't had any issues. I've learned that it's important to place a second seal after the first vacuum/seal. And not all bags are created equal. I bought the VonShelf brand bags which are textured on one side of the bag so air can be vacuumed better. Here's my sealer:
https://smile.amazon.com/VS-02-Vacuum-Sealing-System-Starter/dp/B00IUAK39A/ref=sr_1_2?crid=29L9D7N37QSNP&keywords=American+Harvest+vacuum+sealer&qid=1644617891&sprefix=american+harvest+vacuum+sealer,aps,82&sr=8-2&th=1

My preferences and experience:
1. always place a second seal after the first.
2. I run the extended vacuum/seal mode.
3. be mindful that the continued use of thermal sealing will temporarily shut off the thermal component which is a built-in safety measure. Give it a few minutes to cool down and it will go again.
4. I have used freezer paper to wrap prime rib which is then bagged and vacuumed with double sealing. These roasts have lasted more than a year and still taste wonderful. I know that the USDA recommends 6 months but proper wrapping and sealing is important for longevity.
5. The VS-02 has an air port for connecting Tygon tubing to vacuum seal jars and buckets but I have never used that feature.

We have a food saver brand (but get another brand of bags from Amazon). We use it for Everything in the freezer. If it’s liquid or soft, freeze it in a plastic container then vacuum seal it or it will make a mess of it. We put up a lot from the garden every year and anything cooked in advance goes in there. This is one of 3 freezers at our house. I just happened to have taken today to show the wife we need another.

Edit: end purpose-you get more stuff in the freezer and it keeps longer.

3B9E2187-2EB6-4CD9-A15E-C8F234692D58.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom