• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FN SCAR 16S review

usmc2112

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
16   0
Reaction score
FN SCAR 16 review

After using and working on the AR-15 platform all my adult life and becoming tired of DI operating systems. I built a gas piston AR upper with one of the first Gas piston kits that hit the market. I was disappointed with the results and decided it was time to ditch the AR-platform after some research and decided on an FN SCAR 16s I have not looked back since. I can sum this review up in one phrase: I love this rifle!

The good:

The magazine release is ambidextrous –

The stock actually folds, unlike an AR-15 when it just goes in and out. The SCAR stock also has an adjustable comb and is adjustable for length of pull in case you’re wearing a thick coat or a plate carrier.

The barrel is bomb-proof (chrome lined and hammer forged) the gun is incredibly accurate

Short stroke gas piston operation with adjustable gas settings – my rifle has eaten everything from weak imported Russian ammo to high powered hunting loads and spit them all out gleefully. The Bolt/ bolt carrier does not get incredibly hot, and the innards of the rifle stay clean. Did I mention no more puffs of gas in the eye?

I have dumped well over 2000 rounds through this rifle and never had a hiccup.

Modifications – Midwest industries extended rail, magpul pistol grip, low profile cocking handle, ATACS sling. EOtechs w/ magnifier.

Future mods – cerakote or hydrodip finish

The bad – at the time I bought this rifle, it did not come with a case, just a cardboard box. You figure at this price point, a blow molded foam lined rifle case wouldn’t be an issue to include.

More bad - The tan colors don’t match. It is not uncommon to see FN SCAR’s with a different colored stock, lower, and upper. But this is why cerakote is made.

Back
Top Bottom