Fixed Blade EDC

Jonboy140

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing my first fixed blade for EDC. I would like it to be as concealable as possible. It's main purpose would be self defense. My budget is $120. What would you recommend?

Do you have an opinion or desire for a particular blade shape,steel type or blade length? If we know what you like we can narrow it down. Concealable as say a neck knife in the 2inch range or concealable like a side draw 4 inch tanto. Or something bigger for a little extra range?

Last edited:
Do you have an opinion or desire for a particular blade shape,steel type or blade length? If we know what you like we can narrow it down. Concealable as say a neck knife in the 2inch range or concealable like a side draw 4 inch tanto. Or something bigger for a little extra range?

I'm thinking I like the idea of a side draw, but open to a neck knife. A 4" blade sounds about right for the side draw, as long as it stays fairly concealable. I don't like serrations(sp?). I like drop points, but not sure that's the best option for a self defense blade. As far as steel type, I'm open to recommendations. I like knives a lot, but I am relatively new to the hobby and lacking in the knowledge department. Trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for your reply.

This would be a good choice IMO. Can conceal many places and is built solid.

KA-BAR Large TDI, MSRP $70.39
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365638137.146477.jpg

I've been carrying one of Danny's (fatzombie) knives for several weeks now in a multi-cam sheath that I made. It is a 4" drop point, but a little above your price range. I have been very happy with it's performance for daily tasks. It is holding an excellent edge and has lived through more abuse than most people put their knives thru.
i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_IMAG0337.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_IMAG0339.jpg

Before that I was carrying an ESEE-4. The 4" knives are a little large to be trying to conceal. If concealment is a concern I would lean towards a smaller knife like the ESEE-3. They offer a couple of different blade types. Their "clip point" has a sharpened top edge and may be more of a self-defense blade than the standard. http://emgear.net/Products/ProductPage.aspx?id=1508 The ESEE knives come with a fairly large sheath that is designed to be attached to a pack, but there are several kydex sheath makers (shameless plug!) that can make a more concealable sheath and still be within your budget.

Danny also has a bad ass tanto blade knife that is a little smaller than mine that you may be interested in. Hopefully he will post a couple of pictures. I'm not sure of the price.

+1 for the tdi, doesnt see as much carry time as it used to as I have moved mainly to autos, but a wicked knife

Here is my "stinger" model. It's a shade under 3/16" thick, has a 3.25" blade and an overall length of 7 inches.
Tanto style blade is 1095 steel that has been acid etched and tumbled. The main blade is hollow ground and the tip is flat ground for strength. G10 Handles are removable for maintenance since it is high carbon. This one goes for $175.00 comes with kydex sheath.
I would go 150 for you if you pay shipping. Or If you want I could make you one 1/8" thick and moly coat it for 140. Also if you order one I can do different grinds and put on scales to your liking. Pm me if interested.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom