fish tanks-freshwater

F47CB460-D1C9-4829-A6A5-964628401927.jpeg

That’s a BIG Silver Dollar in a 55 gallon tank....

Probably ok where it is. When the warm weather comes again keep an eye on the temperature. It’s should be ok this winter for sure, as long as the heater is working. Get some test strips and stay in touch with what’s going on for the first month or two.

Without that 2nd bacteria (who’s name I forget) the only way to keep the fish alive for the first month or two is regular water changes. You’ll know when you must if you have the test strips.
i plan on doing the water changes (removing 20 to 25% of the water and using a siphon) once a week. should i do it more often? i have a regular filter running currently, heater, thermometer and have been using the bacteria addative stuff that came with the tank kit

i plan on doing the water changes (removing 20 to 25% of the water and using a siphon) once a week. should i do it more often? i have a regular filter running currently, heater, thermometer and have been using the bacteria addative stuff that came with the tank kit

Unless the tank is crowded, you don't need a water change that often. Test your water each week (or take a sample to the pet store for testing) once the tank is established, and then establish a water change schedule based on ammonia levels starting to creep up a bit. Or, just do it when the bottom needs vacuuming.

Best thing you can do is NOT overcrowd.

Unless the tank is crowded, you don't need a water change that often. Test your water each week (or take a sample to the pet store for testing) once the tank is established, and then establish a water change schedule based on ammonia levels starting to creep up a bit. Or, just do it when the bottom needs vacuuming.

Best thing you can do is NOT overcrowd.
ive got 9 neon tetras, 2 guppys, a few fake and live plants, and 1 small pleco in there at the moment. going to add either a betta fih or an angel fish i figure and possibly a few bottom shrimp

ive got 9 neon tetras, 2 guppys, a few fake and live plants, and 1 small pleco in there at the moment. going to add either a betta fih or an angel fish i figure and possibly a few bottom shrimp

Careful adding a Betta to a community tank- you would think it would be aggressive and bully the other fish but I tried keeping one in a 55 gallon tank, thought that would give everyone their own territory, but found the danios liked taking little bites out of the bettas fins and had to give her a separate tank. I never kept Tetras so don't know if they will do the same. Maybe try a smaller Gourami instead of the Betta?

I kept 4 or 5 of those little Otocinclus catfish to help keep the tank clean. They are peaceful and you don't have to worry about their barbs getting worn down if you use rocks in your tank.
I also used to buy a handful of Ghost shrimp everytime I went to That Fish Place in Lancaster PA- they sell them as feeder food, 10 for a dollar, but they also help clean the tank and they look weird as you can see right through them.
I also kept a loach to take care of any snails I might pick up from live plants.

And for the record- live plants over plastic all day every day. I feel the same way about plastic plants as I do about Crocs...

Back
Top Bottom