• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunt. Borrring!

You are missing the point. Successful hunting requires a number of skills. Shooting well is just one of the skills needed and isn't even the most important one. Most hunting is actually done with no weapon in your hand and not during the season. It's called "scouting".

Did you have any reason to think a legal buck, a bear or a hog would walk out on the power line? Did you find any sign of any of them before you set up? Did you find the food sources and bedding areas in the area before you chose your stand position? Did you do anything to reduce your scent? What direction was the wind blowing?

BTW, if you think there are so few legal animals, what do you think all those other people were shooting at?

90% of the deer are killed by the same 10% of the hunters year after year. Those are the skilled hunters. The rest of the hunters are, well....like you.

If you would actually like to learn some hunting skills PM me. I very much enjoy teaching new hunters as long as they are willing to put the effort into learning the skills.

start small go hunt some squirrels deer hunting is hours of boredom followed by a few seconds of chaos..lol

btw some of the responses on this thread suck and are more sarcastic then helpful..

Last edited:
Its more than killing a monster. Its enjoying the first rays of the sun beaking over the horizon. Its enjoying the last bit of light. Its hearing the sound of leaves crunching and wondering if thats a monster or a horny squirrel. Its the stories we share with each other that start off "this one time I was in the deer woods..." If you dont enjoy that then dont do it. For me thats how I relax. Even on wednesday when it was 27 degrees i still loved every second I was in the woods.

I agree hunting is VERY boring! The only reason I do it now is because my dad loves it. I go with him so he is not alone. I just pray I have a 4G signal so I can surf the web or I play games the entire time. I see plenty of deer, but I dont shoot them. I pray they go his way so he can shoot them and we can leave!!

Jaques at lease you go with with dad--leave you bullets at home so we don't have to worry about you too

Your expectations may be a little high, but I agree with you that sitting in a stand can be crushingly boring. I have a very hard time sitting still for 6 hours and not seeing any deer. I have shot many does and several small bucks, but I have never seen anything over 6 points in hundreds of hours in the stand. I understand that the woods are big and the deer are few, so my expectations are reasonable. Many deer are active at night, so that hurts your chances of seeing them too. Deer hunting is an acquired sickness that some people never catch. Deer meat is also very gamey if you are not used to it or know how to cook it.

I can hook you up with a good outfitter in KY for an early season bow hunt I guarantee you will see deer. He also has rifle hunts and M/L hunt later in the season...

it makes a big diff if you are hunting private property a lease or public land also..

I still bring my gun, but I have been taking pictures of them instead and showing them to my dad. Just to let him know I could have killed them.
thats not a bad thing --had a buddy that didn't care for hunting but loved the woods and taking pic's--he would go with me all the time--just getting into the woods and listening to all the sounds--peaceful..

Back
Top Bottom