• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunt. Borrring!

Sandybar

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
80   2
Reaction score
I have been shooting for years now. Love long distance target shooting and even compete a little. So without bragging I have good equipment and I know how to hit my targets. So for the longest time I wondered what it would be like to big game hunt. Sounded exciting and hey you get some meat as a bonus.

Always heard stories about this and that deer etc. So this year I went out in opening day to deer hunt in Dawsonville forest. After all the time and money spent on permits and running around filling out slips of paper. The ranger says you can get a beer a bore or a buck with 8 points. So I'm no hunter I figure no problem I set up in some power lines I can see 500 yards in either direction anything comes out and I'm not going to miss. I spent all day sitting there and nothing all I heard where gun shots going off everywhere it sounded like a freaking shooting range rapid fire etc. After a while a doe came within 10 ft of me I just watched it go by and waited for my legal animal. Of course nothing happened.

I think the rangers are laughing at us all what a waste or time. There is probably one buck in the whole forest and who knows how many hunters. It's not hunting it's playing the lotto you just sit there and hope something walks by and you get it before the next guy. If you try and walk around the leaves make so much noise your not going to sneak up on anything. Anyway I know those rangers are laughing there heads off at all Of us suckers spending our time and money on a snipe hunt. If I do this again I'm going on a payed big game hunt where there is at least a chance if success.

I thought fishing was boring hunting deer in Georgia make fishing look like and extreme sport. Anyway I'll go out to the range and pretend there is and animal I'm shooting at and then go to the super market and by some meat. It will be cheaper and at least I get to fire my weapon. Any way sorry about the venting. Am I the only person who feels this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
You really thought a deer was just goign to walk up on you your first day? Your expectation are to high. That's what makes it "exciting" is that when you do get a deer it's awesome.

If it were really that simple people would tag out in the first week.

There's people that go years without it.

Also you're hunting froma stand which is boring.

If you still hunt it's more fun cause you can move around at the very least but it's more "jump" hunting and hitting on the run than long distance shots.

Try boar hunting or squirrel hunting, i think it's more fun.

so... you didnt get a trophy buck on your first time hunting ever? but you saw a deer... and your complaining...

please... go on. Tell me how you bought your first gun and were an expert marksman on your first shot

hunting is not for everyone... just saying

I get more enjoyment sitting in the peace and quiet than I get from shooting a deer. ok.. thats a lie, but it a real close second.

WHAT???? Are you kidding dude? A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work... wait, there's never a bad day of hunting.

For me, just getting out of civilization and into the woods before dawn, climbing into a stand and getting comfy and watching / listening to the world and all of nature's creations wake up is where it's at for me. Even if I don't see a single deer or hog, just sitting there listening and thinking in peace is more therapeutic than any vacation or counselor you can buy.

I agree hunting is VERY boring! The only reason I do it now is because my dad loves it. I go with him so he is not alone. I just pray I have a 4G signal so I can surf the web or I play games the entire time. I see plenty of deer, but I dont shoot them. I pray they go his way so he can shoot them and we can leave!!

it sounds like you are like so many people (not hunters) that go into the woods or sit on a power line waiting for something to walk out and stand there so you can shoot it then call yourself a hunter..Sorry you didn't take more time before the hunt to learn anything----for us (the hunter) there will be one less person in the woods to worry about...rant over

Props to all if you with the patience of job. But I just don't see it and if your all so patience why does is sound like a shooting range in the outdoors instead of quiet. Sounds like a glorifies gun picknicks with a remote chance of success. More power to you deer hunters especially the ones getting soaked right now. Hope you bag the one buck in the forest. Maybe I will try bore hunting. At least there ugly. I gotta say when I see deer close up I kind of think there cute. Haha
p.s save some ammo for the deer.

I guess it is safe to surmise that you did no scouting, learned bedding areas, or available food sources. No, a trophy buck ain't apt to come into a field in broad daylight on opening day. It does actually take a little work to pattern the deer and figure out where they are going for the basics. That is part of what makes hunting enjoyable, outsmarting the game you are after. Put some time into that end of the hunt and you will be more successful.

Back
Top Bottom