• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Rat Snake This Year

We had a big rat snake in my backyard last week. First I've ever seen in the 6 years I've lived there. He showed up where we had a birdhouse on a tree, got the eggs out of the nest in there, then left. Haven't seen him since.

We had a big rat snake in my backyard last week. First I've ever seen in the 6 years I've lived there. He showed up where we had a birdhouse on a tree, got the eggs out of the nest in there, then left. Haven't seen him since.

Unfortunately even the good snakes will go after bird nests.
Several years ago I had to rescue a pretty black and yellow king snake. The bluebirds were attacking him. One was actually hovering above his head and pecking it.
I took the snake far away from nesting box.

Unfortunately even the good snakes will go after bird nests.
Several years ago I had to rescue a pretty black and yellow king snake. The bluebirds were attacking him. One was actually hovering above his head and pecking it.
I took the snake far away from nesting box.
Now that's funny! I'm sure it wasn't for the snake though. Never heard of a bluebird attacking a snake. But yeah we had the nest in a tree, and the snake came across from a branch of another tree. He was big enough to stretch out and get to it a good 5 feet from the branch he was in. I left it alone, and it left. Felt bad for the birds but I told my boys who were watching it that's how mother nature works.

Bluebirds are very protective of their nest. I have had the box in same place for years. It is mounted on a metal pipe about six feet off the ground. At first they would perch nearby and if I got near it they would dive bomb me, and later they got used to me. If a squirrel gets anywhere near it all hell breaks loose.

IMG_20180112_155154.jpg
last January in the road in White

Back
Top Bottom