• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finally buying a rimfire can today. Pistol options and advice wanted.

CBeck

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
98   0
Reaction score
I need my tail kicked for waiting this long but I'm finally buying a rimfire can today! It gets me excited thinking about when that sweet lil noise reducing angel can come home with me. Oh how I dread the wait already but it won't take forever and will be totally worth it. I have a few rifle hosts but no pistol options yet. Is the M&P 22 a good place to start? Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt see why not. I have a Ruger 22/45 LITE and love it. I bought it because it was very light, came with a threaded barrel, and the can will look semi flush with it.

I wouldnt see why not. I have a Ruger 22/45 LITE and love it. I bought it because it was very light, came with a threaded barrel, and the can will look semi flush with it.

This plus one. I got to do a preview shoot of my 22 can yesterday on my 22/45 lite and it was as fun as expected.

The M&P22 is great, its a great size, the thread adapter is cheap, its reliable. I called Classic City Firearms and picked one up for a stupid cheap price this weekend

What can are you choosing?

Other great rimfire options that come out of the box ready to rumble with a can:

SR22 threaded- ruger rimfire pistol, very reliable

GSG 1911- only needs an adapter but it is the quietest pistol host

Savage FV-SR- Threaded bolt action, heavy barrel, comes with pica-tinny rail for optic, stupid accurate and quiet.

M&P 15-22(or other 22lr AR)- a fairly quiet action, high capacity and accurate.

I can vouch for the savage, from a recent weekend with laxguy and about 600 rounds. With subsonic ammo and the suppressor, it was quieter than my pellet gun. With high velocity ammo, I hit a soda can at ~230 yds.

I already have a 15-22 and the FV-SR so I'm set with rifles for now. The savage is such an awesome rifle.
How much do the M&P 22's usually cost? Do they not have a threaded option so the adapter is the only way to go? I have shot and like the Rugers but the M&P just has my attention. Also can't wait for a dedicated .22 upper for my sbr.

I went with the AAC Prodigy.

Last edited:
I already have a 15-22 and the FV-SR so I'm set with rifles for now. The savage is such an awesome rifle.
How much do the M&P 22's usually cost? Do they not have a threaded option so the adapter is the only way to go? I have shot and like the Rugers but the M&P just has my attention. Also can't wait for a dedicated .22 upper for my sbr.

I went with the AAC Prodigy.

ClassicCityFirearms has them for $325. I've seen them a bit higher online. From what I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please) the barrel is threaded but doesn't protrude past the slide. The easiest thing to do is get a p22 adapter, remove the barrel nut and install the adapter. This is what the barrel looks like with the slide back and the stock barrel nut:
mp22-theaded-barrel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom