• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Figs

mo mauser

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
My cousin have me two fig tree seedlings. I've never messed with them before. I need to move them out of the small pots there in. I'm thinking about repotting to larger pots and keeping them on the porch until winter. Then planting them in the ground to minimize stress. How does this sound? Also do you prefer to plant them in full sun, shaded, ie recommended location for success. Thanks

The fig bushes at my old place were planted on the south side of a barn. They were very happy, yielded huge amounts of fruit. And were 8 to 10 feet tall. Had 4 of them.

Do deer eat these? They eat everything else, so i don't see why not, but I have a couple that are about two years old and not bearing fruit yet. I wonder if I'll ever get any once they start to produce.

What variety? Some are more frost reststant than others.
Repot in larger pots. If you do not put them in the soil in the fall, then keep them inside over winter. Roots will freeze in the pot on the porch. Cover with pine needles over winter, while it is small.
Plant in full sun, shielded from wind. Augment soil with lime liberally.
Figs produce on new growth. Keep it trimmed to 6 ot 8 feet tall, easier to pick.
I have 3 figs, btw
This was picked from one tree.

20190804_194101.jpg

Back
Top Bottom