• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Figs

Do they require regular watering once established or is annual rainfall generally enough?
In GA summers they need water, if you want a lot of fruit. This is a highly unusual summer, with weekly rains, so I have not had to water mine this year.
Fig roots are relativly shallow. They live off surface water. For best production mulch them. Use Gatorbag donuts on young trees for drip irrigation.

Do deer eat these? They eat everything else, so i don't see why not, but I have a couple that are about two years old and not bearing fruit yet. I wonder if I'll ever get any once they start to produce.
Pick them before they are fully ripe, just as they start softening up and let them finish ripening inside. My figs just started to come and deer eats only the ripe ones. I have to beat them.

As others have said, plant in the fall after or at least as the leaves are dropping. Water them a lot in pots in good soil. The more roots you have before planting in the ground the better. Plant on the south side if you have the option with protection form N/NW winds. I've got three planted and the one that gets the most water is doing noticeably better, but I've never watered any of them once in the ground if planted in the fall. I've had all three die back at different times from winter kill and they all came back. Which is fine since depending on location than can get to unwieldy size. They are relatively hard to permanently kill.
The deer very lightly browse mine. I guess they are too busy trying to decimate all the apple and pear trees to mess with the figs much. ;)

Do they require regular watering once established or is annual rainfall generally enough?
I feel like I've arrived at old since nobody has mentioned this yet.
My old relatives planted them where the sink or grey water was ran out into the yard.
That's where you plant the fig tree.
Mine has been neglected for years and has died back, but, I did some work on it six months ago.
I should go check it.
The limbs were 5" diameter or better. The trunk is huge. I'll snag a picture when I get down there.

Figs bear on new growth. Keep them trimmed (no more than 1/3 in one year), or eventually tree will become unmanageable and most of the new growth/fruit will be out of reach.
Use lime liberaly. Figs love lime.

I've repotted them and one already has new growth. I haven't picked a place to plant them yet. I thought with my plum trees but they get the nw wind which may explain why they struggle. I've looked at another place or two but don't think I can keep the deer out of them. So still haven't made up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom