• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Favorite low/no cholesterol dish?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
All right give me some ideas. My wife is doing an AMAZING job of recently trying to get her numbers down to avoid statins and I'm trying to be as encouraging as possible. I'm sort of out of ideas though.
She likes most anything (unlike me). So whatcha' got?

Crawfish broil, jambalaya minus the sausage, buttermilk roasted chicken, shrimp and grits, squash spaghetti, salmon or any fish for that matter, salad. Or do what i us to, grab a bottle of vodka and drink your dinner.

Thinly sliced peppers and onions, sautéed in a little Pam. Then sautee thin sliced chicken breast. Put veggies back in the pan with the chicken, add fresh chopped tomato. Add taco seasoning (or your own, chili powder, onion & garlic powder, cumin and black pepper), and a bit of water. Makes sort of a fajita mix.

Put into a high fiber tortilla (there is a "wellness" brand with 90 calories and 9 grams of fiber), and top with a homemade pico de galo (onions, tomatoes and cilantro), and then a dollop of plain greek yogurt.

For less than 500 calories, you have 12-13 grams of fiber, 15-25 grams of protein. And it's delicious!

Cholesterol only comes from animals so any dish that does not have meat or does not use animal products (milk, eggs, etc.) will be cholesterol free. Having said that it is no longer as much about cholesterol. It is the other properties of statin medications, along with cholesterol lower, that likely provides most of the cardiac and stroke risk factor reduction.

You can do a quick calculation to find your ASCVD score and use that to determine your 10 year risk level.

It is up to you, and your doctor, to decide if a statin is right for you.

Still going with a low cholesterol lifestyle is not a bad idea.

My vote and screw the heat attack...

images

Crawfish broil, jambalaya minus the sausage, buttermilk roasted chicken, shrimp and grits, squash spaghetti, salmon or any fish for that matter, salad. Or do what i us to, grab a bottle of vodka and drink your dinner.
Unfortunately crawfish is high in cholesterol. I'll just have to eat her share.
I do need to try that squash as a pasta replacement. We've switched to high fiber pasta.

Thinly sliced peppers and onions, sautéed in a little Pam. Then sautee thin sliced chicken breast. Put veggies back in the pan with the chicken, add fresh chopped tomato. Add taco seasoning (or your own, chili powder, onion & garlic powder, cumin and black pepper), and a bit of water. Makes sort of a fajita mix.

Put into a high fiber tortilla (there is a "wellness" brand with 90 calories and 9 grams of fiber), and top with a homemade pico de galo (onions, tomatoes and cilantro), and then a dollop of plain greek yogurt.

For less than 500 calories, you have 12-13 grams of fiber, 15-25 grams of protein. And it's delicious!
She'd love that. We'll give it a try.

Unfortunately crawfish is high in cholesterol. I'll just have to eat her share.
I do need to try that squash as a pasta replacement. We've switched to high fiber pasta.

Get one of those spriralizers and you can make pasta replacements with ease using zucchini. The first time my wife made it, I didn't even know it wasn't pasta until she told me.

Don't know what the cholesterol count is but here is a easy different meal..I let some zucchini grow large, Slice longways in half. Hollow out the center removing the seeds, coat inside and outside with Olive oil. Use coarse garlic liberally with Oregano also on the inside. In the oven for 30 minutes at 350, then add Newman's own Marinara sauce and fill your Zucchini boat. 10 minutes before ready top with pepper jack cheese..Sometimes I grill chicken breast and add to the boat also..

Back
Top Bottom