• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

F. W. Woolworth's lunch counter menu 1970 - WOW!!

Was Big Red working Broughton Street during that era?
Yes, but it seems like I remember an earlier Woolworth farther down Broughton.
Used to go to cowboy double features on Saturday at the Roxy which was torn down for the new(?) one.
In any event, the only thing better than lunch at Woolworth’s was the rare occasion when granny would splurge for lunch at Morrison’s cafeteria. Loved their egg custard pie!

Yes, but it seems like I remember an earlier Woolworth farther down Broughton.
Used to go to cowboy double features on Saturday at the Roxy which was torn down for the new(?) one.
In any event, the only thing better than lunch at Woolworth’s was the rare occasion when granny would splurge for lunch at Morrison’s cafeteria. Loved their egg custard pie!
Woolworth I remember was on corner of E. Broughton and Abercorn. Same block was the
Avon which I frequented. OMG, Morrison's was wonderful. Egg custard is still my favorite pie.

Sounds like the kind of place where your mom would make you eat ambrosia if that was what was on offer.
kid-vomit.gif

I measure inflation with hourly wages verses cost of pizza and gasoline.. Worked at A&P Grocery in high school made $0.90 an hour packing bags, stacking shelves, unloading deliveries and moping floors after closing. You could get a small meatball pizza at local restaurant/bar for $0.75, and a large for $1.00. A glass of beer for 15 cents (in those days they served anyone over 16 w/o questioning). Gas at local discount brand station was 24.9 cents a gallon , we would chip in 25 Cents each to joyride in friend's car. That's less than an hours work for a pizza, and 4 gals of gas for an hours work.

Today at $15.00/hr min wage its close to or less than an hours work for a small meatball pizza, and less than an hours work for 4 gallons of gas. So in the past xx years little has changed except now the expectation of TV cable or streaming / internet access / mobile phone / multiple cars for each a family / larger homes / expensive vacations and eating out adding to the mix. So it's not really inflation it's a more advanced standard of living from the old days that we now live.

I measure inflation with hourly wages verses cost of pizza and gasoline.. Worked at A&P Grocery in high school made $0.90 an hour packing bags, stacking shelves, unloading deliveries and moping floors after closing. You could get a small meatball pizza at local restaurant/bar for $0.75, and a large for $1.00. A glass of beer for 15 cents (in those days they served anyone over 16 w/o questioning). Gas at local discount brand station was 24.9 cents a gallon , we would chip in 25 Cents each to joyride in friend's car. That's less than an hours work for a pizza, and 4 gals of gas for an hours work.

Today at $15.00/hr min wage its close to or less than an hours work for a small meatball pizza, and less than an hours work for 4 gallons of gas. So in the past xx years little has changed except now the expectation of TV cable or streaming / internet access / mobile phone / multiple cars for each a family / larger homes / expensive vacations and eating out adding to the mix. So it's not really inflation it's a more advanced standard of living from the old days that we now live.
Is that you, Joy?
Screenshot_20221104-164731_Google.jpg

Back
Top Bottom