• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

man-home-defense.png

Added another article at the top, "Why the Shotgun is One of the Best Options for Personal Defense".

View attachment 3628887

Added another article at the top, "Why the Shotgun is One of the Best Options for Personal Defense".
"While a 230-grain .45 ACP bullet delivers 355 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, a load of 00 buckshot from a 12 gauge scores 1,589 foot-pounds." From the new article you linked.

Do you know that a single round of .223/5.56 delivers about 1,300 foot pounds? Multiply times 30 in the mag and... well...

"While a 230-grain .45 ACP bullet delivers 355 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, a load of 00 buckshot from a 12 gauge scores 1,589 foot-pounds." From the new article you linked.

Do you know that a single round of .223/5.56 delivers about 1,300 foot pounds? Multiply times 30 in the mag and... well...
I get it, but I also think wonder about penetration in an suburban neighborhood. Maybe it's not so much a concern in rural areas with a lot of space between homes. I've read that if you live in a more densely-packed areas, #4 buckshot penetrates building walls less than #00 shot. Just saying... give some thought to the load and the environment around you.

I get it, but I also think wonder about penetration in an suburban neighborhood. Maybe it's not so much a concern in rural areas with a lot of space between homes. I've read that if you live in a more densely-packed areas, #4 buckshot penetrates building walls less than #00 shot. Just saying... give some thought to the load and the environment around you.
This is the load I use. Solution to over penetration.

1635468684349.png

was

If that’s the 60grn VMax, I’ve blown that load through both sides of a 3/4 ton truck tire. That’s quite a bit tougher on a bullet than Sheetrock and interior grade lumber.
55 grain, but buckshot would go through that tire, too, don't you think? Unless you're shooting birdshot, it's going to penetrate.

55 grain, but buckshot would go through that tire, too, don't you think? Unless you're shooting birdshot, it's going to penetrate.

No, I wouldn’t trust 00 buck to penetrate both walls of a 3/4 ton truck tire, from what I’ve seen personally.

Now, I’m not championing “under-penetration” for home defense, cuz I go the OTHER direction. My “carry” ammo for an AR, inside and outside, is Hornady TAP 5.56 70grn GMX Barrier Penetrator. I like to be able to shoots folks that get on the other side of stuff. 5.56 in just about any load is much better at penetration than 00 buck.

No, I wouldn’t trust 00 buck to penetrate both walls of a 3/4 ton truck tire, from what I’ve seen personally.

Now, I’m not championing “under-penetration” for home defense, cuz I go the OTHER direction. My “carry” ammo for an AR, inside and outside, is Hornady TAP 5.56 70grn GMX Barrier Penetrator. I like to be able to shoots folks that get on the other side of stuff. 5.56 in just about any load is much better at penetration than 00 buck.

First in a home situation, you are probably in really deep **** if you can't resolve the situation with 5 to 7 rounds of buckshot, If you think you need the 30 rounds of an AR-15, then there must be a reason of overwhelming firepower on your opponents, which means that between the 2 of you, your family, your home, your neighbors and their families are at risk.

Beyond the tactical considerations, in today's environment, one has to consider the aftermath of shooting someone who is probably a neighborhood teenage hoodlum, and you being the rich white guy who unloaded an AR 15 into him. A shotgun, even in it's most Tacticool configuration is infinitely more PC than a "black rifle."

Look at what happened to those "rich white lawyers" who just waved an AR-15 in their front yard. I'm suggesting if they had been waving a Benelli M1 they would have avoided being involved in a lot of crap. Homeowner protecting homestead with shotgun is always going to play better than "radical white guy waves AR-15 in front yard".

First in a home situation, you are probably in really deep **** if you can't resolve the situation with 5 to 7 rounds of buckshot, If you think you need the 30 rounds of an AR-15, then there must be a reason of overwhelming firepower on your opponents, which means that between the 2 of you, your family, your home, your neighbors and their families are at risk.

Beyond the tactical considerations, in today's environment, one has to consider the aftermath of shooting someone who is probably a neighborhood teenage hoodlum, and you being the rich white guy who unloaded an AR 15 into him. A shotgun, even in it's most Tacticool configuration is infinitely more PC than a "black rifle."

Look at what happened to those "rich white lawyers" who just waved an AR-15 in their front yard. I'm suggesting if they had been waving a Benelli M1 they would have avoided being involved in a lot of crap. Homeowner protecting homestead with shotgun is always going to play better than "radical white guy waves AR-15 in front yard".
Well hell, if an AR is too much fire power when protecting your family and home, you can always just crack off a couple rounds in the air from your good old side by side. Uncle Joe would approve.

Same mind set.

Not to burst ya'lls shotgun for home defense bubble but what are you gonna do when outlaw has a gun to your wife or child's head and you got 4 inches of skull and one eyeball as your target?

1635519594040.png

Back
Top Bottom