Equipment check and suggestions

jba6511

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
I have read the Modern Reloading and NRA Guide to Reloading books while waiting on my copy of the ABC's of Reloading and Lyman's Reloading to arrive. I will also be taking a class on reloading in January. In the mean time, I wanted to start putting together a list of what will be needed. Based on what I have read, I believe I will need the following items but wanted to verify with those with experience. I will be reloading for 9mm to start, but would like to expand into other pistol and rifle calibers down the line. Please let me know if I am missing anything from this list:

single-stage press
die set - Lee Precision 9mm Luger Three Die Set
shell holder - Lee gauge and shell holder for 9mm
reloading scale
powder measure
powder funnel
dial caliper
case trimmer
deburring tool
case cleaning machine
case loading blocks
priming tool
Bullet puller

I am looking at the Lee kits right now mainly due to budget. Also, can someone recommend a decent case cleaning machine that is budget friendly? Thanks in advance for the help.

Looks as though you are on the right track. Welcome to reloading! I would also get a primer pocket cleaning tool and chamfer tool. As far as cleaning cases I have gotten by with just a tumbler and either corn cob or walnut media. I have a Lyman I have had for a while I also have a frankford arsenal that I like and was not badly priced. Good luck! If you get stuck I am fairly close to you and can help you with setup if you need. Just get ready to spend every free moment with your new hobby. You have been warned!

Edit: Also if the dies are not carbide you will need to lube them. I lube mine with an aerosol lube on every tenth case or so totally optional on carbide dies I just do it.

Last edited:
If all you are doing for now is 9mm, don't worry about trimming, chamfering, or deburring. You will need that stuff if you step up to loading rifle rounds.

Don't buy dedicated loading blocks, just save the plastic inserts from your factory ammo and use them.

Glad to have you join the obsession we call reloading. I highly recommend that you go with the Lee Deluxe Carbide 4 Die set instead of the 3 die set. The Deluxe set includes the carbide factory crimp die which is a great accessory. Also, another useful item is the Lyman Max Cartridge Length Gage which will allow you to quickly check the tolerances and overall length of loaded cartridges. It only costs about $14 and you can quickly verify if your loads will chamber.

Back
Top Bottom