• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

echo gt225 won't start

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Bought it last year, used it 6 times. Dumped out the fuel last season. Went to fire it up today, nothing happened. The primer bulb is stuck in, like it has a suction on it. Any ideas?

Your fuel tank has 3 small hoses in it. One supplies fuel to the carburetor and one supplies fuel to the primer bulb. The other is a return line from the carb so when yor prime it you won't flood it. Most likely the one from the fuel tank to the primer bulb has collapsed. Good ol ethanol gas. You can buy a repair kit at Home Depot that gives you everything you need to replace the hoses, primer bulb etc. under 20 bucks. Easy to install.

Most likely the carb is clogged. If you just dumped the fuel and didn't run it out, whatever was left in the carb probably clogged it up. If that's the case you'll need to take it apart and spray it thoroughly with carb cleaner.

You said your primer bulb is stuck in like it has vacuum on it right? If that is true then the problem with the bulb is between the bulb and the fuel tank. The primer bulb supply hose is all it could be. The bulb sucks the fuel from the tank by creating a vacuum when you let the bulb come back out AFTERyou press it in. When you press it in, it is pushing the fuel to the carburetor. If your bulb pushes in and stays in your supply hose is either clogged or collapsed preventing the fuel from being sucked up to the primer bulb.
Your. Carburetor may very we'll be gummed up if you didn't run the fuel out of it like Leroy said but that will not prevent your primer bulb from working. If it was clogged between the bulb and the carburetor the bulb would pressurize.

I just bought an electric weed eater and I am very happy with it. I do not have to bush hog or anything like that, just cut around the house, patio and flower beds. No more gas or mix issues! Sounds like the the primer bulb fuel supply line. More than likely, you will want to replace all the lines as if you just fix the one, the others may be rotten and start leaking on ya!

I'll replace the lines, thanks for the advice!

The funny thing is, I have a 7 year old cheapy Bowlen that's been sitting for 2 years WITH fuel in it, and it cranked right up! I trimmed my whole yard with it without a hiccup while the less than one year old echo sits in my garage.

I know ethanol fuel is nasty stuff, but if that old cheap pos runs like a champ in the same conditions, it says allot. I won't buy another echo based solely on this failure. I thought I was doing a good thing, following the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality. But that theory doesn't always good true (but most of the time it does!)

I'll replace the lines, thanks for the advice!

The funny thing is, I have a 7 year old cheapy Bowlen that's been sitting for 2 years WITH fuel in it, and it cranked right up! I trimmed my whole yard with it without a hiccup while the less than one year old echo sits in my garage.

I know ethanol fuel is nasty stuff, but if that old cheap pos runs like a champ in the same conditions, it says allot. I won't buy another echo based solely on this failure. I thought I was doing a good thing, following the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality. But that theory doesn't always good true (but most of the time it does!)
Don't be too quick to throw echo under the bus. Any small engine is going to fail with ethanol gas in it. I was a certified small engine mechanic in about every brand there was. I worked at howard brothers for 6 years. Silver Stihl certified. And I forget the certification for Echo. You could still have a carb issue. Fuel lines could be bad too but I have probably seen over 50 carbs that the primer bulb was stuck and it was due to the carb itself. Not the lines. I have gotten where I barely even rebuild a 2 cycle carb anymore. Not worth the effort. New ones are cheap. Hopefully yours is just a bad line. That ethanol turn the lines to a sticky gummy substance

Don't be too quick to throw echo under the bus. Any small engine is going to fail with ethanol gas in it. I was a certified small engine mechanic in about every brand there was. I worked at howard brothers for 6 years. Silver Stihl certified. And I forget the certification for Echo. You could still have a carb issue. Fuel lines could be bad too but I have probably seen over 50 carbs that the primer bulb was stuck and it was due to the carb itself. Not the lines. I have gotten where I barely even rebuild a 2 cycle carb anymore. Not worth the effort. New ones are cheap. Hopefully yours is just a bad line. That ethanol turn the lines to a sticky gummy substance

My issue is that the cheaper trimmer faced the exact same conditions, but over a much longer time period, and never had an issue.

Whatever the difference in design is, works. The echo, no matter where the actual problem lies, is flawed in a critical way.

I just bought an electric weed eater and I am very happy with it. I do not have to bush hog or anything like that, just cut around the house, patio and flower beds. No more gas or mix issues! Sounds like the the primer bulb fuel supply line. More than likely, you will want to replace all the lines as if you just fix the one, the others may be rotten and start leaking on ya!

x2 on electric. I bought the Ryobi last year and love it. I can do the whole yard on one battery. Biggest plus...wife can weed eat when I don't have time, since she always had trouble starting the gas weed eater.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom