• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DPMS trigger job recommendations

Stringbender

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Bender of Strings
72   0
Reaction score
Hi all, I am wanting some opinions on which way to go to improve my trigger on a brand new DPMS Oracle. I have looked at a few videos and just want some opinions now. I see that there are several after market triggers, some that approach the cost of the gun and I am not wanting to sell a kidney at this time to pay for a trigger. Have any of you successfully removed and polished the dpms fcg and or found inexpensive mods that are reliable and safe? I have a strong mechanical background and believe I can follow along with some of the polishing tutorials I have seen but I want to hear from someone on the ODT. Also, I am sure this trigger will improve with use but as it stands right now is pretty $h!tty and gritty. This is just a fun gun for me and I grouped decently with it the couple of times I have taken it out but I realize that if I want to hit some far out stuff I am going to have to improve this trigger. I would like to hear of any replacements, mods or recommendations that anyone has and thanks in advance. :confused:

Jim

Maybe a little much $ but the Chip McCormick (CMC) Is a very nice drop in unit. It's what I put in my LR 308 and I love it. Prices have come down since I installed mine and current pricing is about $160

Go to youtube and look at how to work a trigger on an AR 15 there are many videos that will help you take up the creep in the trigger as well as polish it and make it smooth. I did a couple of mine and it worked out great. I did buy the lighter spring kit for one as reccomended above.

Careful with the springs, I've see a lot of problems (light strikes) shooting some military ammo b/c of hard primers. You might not worry about this but a light hammer spring can cause you problems with some primers. Not so much with match ammo.

DIY is ok for bird houses, and kitchen sinks but for Christ sake do not watch YouTube and then try to work the FCG on your firearm. Find a local gunsmith to perform the trigger job if you are not wanting to do a drop in FCG and spring kit. I no longer am a full time gunsmith, but do several AR15 trigger jobs every couple of weeks for friends and members at my range to simply keep them from sending rounds through their wives china cabinets because they got carried away with a Dremel or files.

DIY is ok for bird houses, and kitchen sinks but for Christ sake do not watch YouTube and then try to work the FCG on your firearm. Find a local gunsmith to perform the trigger job if you are not wanting to do a drop in FCG and spring kit. I no longer am a full time gunsmith, but do several AR15 trigger jobs every couple of weeks for friends and members at my range to simply keep them from sending rounds through their wives china cabinets because they got carried away with a Dremel or files.

If one has common knowledge of guns and how they work and any common sense at all Brownells and Midway USA have some great You tube videos to help anyone walk through many aspects of working on an AR. Just because someone did it for a living doesn't mean someone else can't do it. The man said he had a strong mechanical background.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE CHAMBER IS EMPTY AND NO MAGS are NOT NEAR THE GUN.

To the OP.... If you feel you are not comfortable doing this by all means DO NOT DO IT! Buy a drop in trigger that is ready to go. My info was strictly a suggestion as to one way to go as you asked above.

This is strictly a suggestion and my opinion and nothing more so proced at your own risk.

Last edited:
Personally I like the drop in FCG. I have installed two; one in my DTI from Chip McCormick and an American trigger in my DPMS LR308B. Both work great, but the American has a better fit and has just a bit smoother operation. The reason I think the fit is better on the American trigger is because the pins on the CMC trigger slide back and fore (which explains why they are supplied with C clips). This does not mean that the trigger is loose in the housing, on the contrary, the fit is tight, it's just a little disconcerting that the pins can slide back and forth. The American Trigger mounting pins fit tight and do not require C clips to hold them in place. Of course cense both triggers have the same trigger pull, then I guess it just comes down to how much money you want to spend. Anyway have fun.

Careful with the springs, I've see a lot of problems (light strikes) shooting some military ammo b/c of hard primers. You might not worry about this but a light hammer spring can cause you problems with some primers. Not so much with match ammo.

then you should try the J.p. kit

never had any issue with L.C. or an military round

Back
Top Bottom