• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Don't go to the Emergency Room unless you absolutely have no other choice

Used HIBICLENS ($10-20 a bottle) to clean/sterilize any deep wounds . We keep a bottle or two in the first aid.
If you have cut on hand, as described by OP…. Pour generous amount into wound and all around, hold over sink. Use CLEAN washcloth or gauze pads and soak with Hibiclens and hold on wound for 30-45 secs….then close with superglue, butterfly stich or sutures if you have access. Cuts on fingers can be cleaned by pouring in a cup and stick finger(s) in for a minute or so.
We keep lidocaine, sutures, syringes, etc. I had started collecting stuff a couple years back …..my ole lady put together a hella first aid kit out of a new Plano Tackle box. We started adding stuff like the sutures, sterile instruments, etc., Its not easy to get a few things but being creative you can get anything you need within reason.. :)
I’ve done the same, hording medical supplies.
After I was taken off antibiotics I still had 2 more refills, so I filled em each month. Good stuff to keep around. If medication gets Scarce like other things lately, antibiotics, pain meds and anti inflammatory drugs will be nice to have for emergencies.

I’m not a universal healthcare/free healthcare proponent at all, but if we didn’t send all the money we send to foreign countries as listed on the USAID site, we could afford to give everyone at least free emergency room access and pay the doctors well too. Probably have some left over for a few transtestical surgeries for our brave and gender confused soldiers.

I cut my hand pretty deep and bad on Saturday morning, Sept. 11. We drove to the urgent care (Wellstar) to get it taken care of they said that it was too deep and they would need to send me to the emergency room (Wellstar Kennestone). Go to the emergency room, they do an x-ray ($), then i wait two hours, then they $ow me up (5 $titche$), give me tetanu$ booster and get $hoddily bandaged. In and out in 3 hours.

The $titche$ were poorly done and came out the next morning.

The next day, I went to my primary care physician and they stitched me up and sent me out for $300.

I just got the bill for the emergency room and it was $5000. It was my mistake going, but my wife was concerned and I was bleeding quite a bit, although we had it stopped by the time I got the ER.

This is highway robbery and ridiculous. The fact that a person must fear significant financial harm to use a hospital is ridiculous.

Our medical industry is out of control. Not sure how it should be resolved, but $1000/$tich is just insane.

Rant over, unless you want to talk about it.
Sir, glad you were finally able to get patched up decently. God bless.

I’ve done the same, hording medical supplies.
After I was taken off antibiotics I still had 2 more refills, so I filled em each month. Good stuff to keep around. If medication gets Scarce like other things lately, antibiotics, pain meds and anti inflammatory drugs will be nice to have for emergencies.
Yep…that was kind of my thinking too.
It is best if you have a good relationship or go to docs that kind of understand what you are doing and why. I have a couple of docs that will give me refills on anti biotics like what you referred to. I have a surgeon i go to every few months for cortisone or similar treatments. He is a great guy. We talk about SHTF situations sometimes. I asked if he had any instruments that was not going to be used….he left the room and come back with several packs of new, sterile stuff. He has also given me suture packs.
I have a few docs that have helped me but not with things they really cant give….nothing I do or they do is against the law or unethical. Some docs are just understanding and will help. Others do not do these things because they feel you are trying to side step the med industry or whatnot.
It takes work to put some of these things together, and time. Getting one or two items at a time.

Good luck ! Stay prepared and it will payoff. :cool-new:

Got a chunk of my pinky fingertip caught in a tool a while back (November of 20). Finger came free, chunk of finger stayed with the tool. Bled like a stuck pig. Blood is still on places of the shop floor. Threw a shop towel on it and headed in to the house. We rinsed it, hit it with Hibiclens, direct pressure, etc, but decided to go to the ER given the bleeding and the missing flesh.

I will say at this point, the worst part of the entire accident and cleanup/treatment was putting that finger under the stream of running water there at the sink. Man was that exquisite.

So...the ER. Checked in, waiting room and all rooms full. Madhouse. Waited so long there (literally outside in the driveway) I eventually got the bleeding stopped on my own. After another hour, a tech did call me inside to try to take my vitals, but never even bothered to inflate the BP cuff, just wrote down whatever numbers were on the machine from the last patient. A PA or nurse or someone later asked if I'd been seen, glanced at the wound, commented that there was not likely anything that could be done given the fingertip location. There was never even a room available to be seen in. An EMT walking in and out did have pity on me and gave me a square of gauze and some sort of tape to cover the wound. We kept waiting outside till it seemed absolutely ridiculous and finally just went back home. No meds, no actual treatment, nothing.

Got a bill for $1500...for just signing in and having insurance. Fought it, but lost. Should have just never answered the mail or phone. Lessons learned.

Pic was taken outside in the sickly, green glow of the ER drive-up entrance here in Macon. It healed up just fine naturally with no treatment at all. What a waste of money and time.

20201108_223421.jpg

Got a chunk of my pinky fingertip caught in a tool a while back (November of 20). Finger came free, chunk of finger stayed with the tool. Bled like a stuck pig. Blood is still on places of the shop floor. Threw a shop towel on it and headed in to the house. We rinsed it, hit it with Hibiclens, direct pressure, etc, but decided to go to the ER given the bleeding and the missing flesh.

I will say at this point, the worst part of the entire accident and cleanup/treatment was putting that finger under the stream of running water there at the sink. Man was that exquisite.

So...the ER. Checked in, waiting room and all rooms full. Madhouse. Waited so long there (literally outside in the driveway) I eventually got the bleeding stopped on my own. After another hour, a tech did call me inside to try to take my vitals, but never even bothered to inflate the BP cuff, just wrote down whatever numbers were on the machine from the last patient. A PA or nurse or someone later asked if I'd been seen, glanced at the wound, commented that there was not likely anything that could be done given the fingertip location. There was never even a room available to be seen in. An EMT walking in and out did have pity on me and gave me a square of gauze and some sort of tape to cover the wound. We kept waiting outside till it seemed absolutely ridiculous and finally just went back home. No meds, no actual treatment, nothing.

Got a bill for $1500...for just signing in and having insurance. Fought it, but lost. Should have just never answered the mail or phone. Lessons learned.

Pic was taken outside in the sickly, green glow of the ER drive-up entrance here in Macon. It healed up just fine naturally with no treatment at all. What a waste of money and time.

View attachment 3601208
That hurts just looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom